#110611  by jeffm725

lately, more and more of the sound companies at various festivals and bigger rooms we have played have been Supplying the Telefunken M80's as the default. I am really liking them a lot. Just as a point of comparison, the 2 vocal mics I have always favored are Sennheiser e935's and EV N/D 767's. The telefunken is ver similar in sound and feel to the e935 to my ears, but with a more focused pattern which is better at rejecting sounds other than your voice. I love Sennheiser 935's but boy you can have one 15 feet from your amp, and if you are not stnading right in front of the mic, it sounds like you a mic'ing your amp!
 #110615  by strumminsix

jeffm725 wrote:lately, more and more of the sound companies at various festivals and bigger rooms we have played have been Supplying the Telefunken M80's as the default. I am really liking them a lot. Just as a point of comparison, the 2 vocal mics I have always favored are Sennheiser e935's and EV N/D 767's. The telefunken is ver similar in sound and feel to the e935 to my ears, but with a more focused pattern which is better at rejecting sounds other than your voice. I love Sennheiser 935's but boy you can have one 15 feet from your amp, and if you are not stnading right in front of the mic, it sounds like you a mic'ing your amp!
Jeff, we are both big fans of the Senn 935. Have you tried their e945 (hypercardiod brother of the 935):
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/E945

Love both and use either depending on where the monitors are to avoid feedback.

I've heard folks say if you use a bunch of SM58s and mic the whole front line you don't need to mic any instruments :lol:
 #110637  by JonnyBoy

I asked the forum about the m80s a few months ago, good to hear that they are similar to something mor affordable. 300 for a dynamic mic is tough if a seinheiser is relatively a good. I am back digging my sm58. Saw all the pros moving to the m80s and thought maybe they were a holy grail....
 #110641  by strumminsix

JonnyBoy wrote:I asked the forum about the m80s a few months ago, good to hear that they are similar to something mor affordable. 300 for a dynamic mic is tough if a seinheiser is relatively a good. I am back digging my sm58. Saw all the pros moving to the m80s and thought maybe they were a holy grail....
Different voices benefit from different mics. Just like guys and guitars. My voice can sound muddy with alot of mics and if you do low cut and top boosts it sounds like AM radio since the freq curves on some mics work against me. The Senns just work sooo well for me. I also use e835s and for some vocalists don't even need to EQ them at all (until a couple songs in then I can fine tune)
 #110653  by Jon S.

All four of my band's vocal mics are now EV N/D 767s. I know they're not the fanciest or most expensive mics around but we just love the way they sound.
 #110660  by strumminsix

Jon S. wrote:All four of my band's vocal mics are now EV N/D 767s. I know they're not the fanciest or most expensive mics around but we just love the way they sound.
Greeat mics!
 #110684  by weshunter

i'm going to have to check out one of those EV's -- looks like that might be a good mic for me.
 #110698  by JonnyBoy

strumminsix wrote:
JonnyBoy wrote:I asked the forum about the m80s a few months ago, good to hear that they are similar to something mor affordable. 300 for a dynamic mic is tough if a seinheiser is relatively a good. I am back digging my sm58. Saw all the pros moving to the m80s and thought maybe they were a holy grail....
Different voices benefit from different mics. Just like guys and guitars. My voice can sound muddy with alot of mics and if you do low cut and top boosts it sounds like AM radio since the freq curves on some mics work against me. The Senns just work sooo well for me. I also use e835s and for some vocalists don't even need to EQ them at all (until a couple songs in then I can fine tune)

I know, I know I have to try 'em :smile: , that makes this annoying trying to find one I like. I am not a vocalist by choice(haha) but I sing 80% of the songs now. I would hate to go demo a mic at a guitar center. I liked the description of the mic trying to get a condenser type response in a dynamic package.The one time I sang into a condenser I really liked the tone and clarity of it... But again it could have been the PA, EQ, effects and on and on. Mostly, I also have seen how the industry has latched on to them as great sounding, easy to work with, excellent rejection wrapped up into a rugged touring mic. Plus recording guys seem to be using them more and more. At a club we frequent every month I use their e835 and really like it too! I dont get any feedback from their hot monitors so I can hear myself better than using my SM58 or my Seinn MD728 (an older dynamic mic mostly used to mic guitars). (I may be wrong about that MD#, but it looks like a Milabs mic that the gang used in the later years),,,