#111312  by NSP

Checking out a K120 for possible purchase.

The seller lists this description -
JBL K120 8 ohm guitar speaker with fresh recone.sounds great and is in excellent condition. Numbers on the cone are 2202 and a stamp that reads MW E120.

Anyone know if the numbers on that cone jive with being properly done?

Thanks
 #111313  by hippieguy1954

I don't know if it is a coincidence or if it makes any difference, but E120 is a different JBL speaker than a K120. It might be a K120 with a E120 cone. I use E120's but I don't know about a K120 with a E120 cone. I think there is a thread somewhere here discussing it.
:smile: :smile: :smile:
 #111315  by NSP

hippieguy1954 wrote:I don't know if it is a coincidence or if it makes any difference, but E120 is a different JBL speaker than a K120. It might be a K120 with a E120 cone. I use E120's but I don't know about a K120 with a E120 cone. I think there is a thread somewhere here discussing it.
:smile: :smile: :smile:
Yeah, It's my understanding that K120 recones are NLA, so I believe the E120 is correct. Wasn't sure about the 2202 marking.
 #111324  by hippieguy1954

I haven't had any experience with a K120 reconed with a E120 cone.

It might be a great speaker if it was reconed correctly...not too difficult. I have no idea what those other numbers mean.

I'm sure someone with knowledge of the results of a E120 cone on a K120 will chime in! :smile: :smile: :smile:
 #111490  by NSP

I'll continue with this thread rather than start a new one....

So, I was able to snag a D120F off the bay today (thanks for the tip Smolder) with an Upland re-cone. There were two and the first one went fast.
I've also recently found out that a buddy has opened up some old monitors to learn that they're loaded with E120's, and one is in really good shape. Any thoughts, opinions or experience on pairing the D120F I bought with my buddies E120 in my 2x12?

For reference I have: PRS (DAllen pups, Waldo buffer, OBEL) --> SMS jer --> Carvin Tube100

Thanks!
 #111495  by Smolder

Cool... Glad you snagged one. Those were a great deal as presented.

The E is ceramic, vs the alnico of the D/K. Not as loud or as stiff. More musical and very slightly less hifi. I've not tried a pair mixed... But now that you mention it...
 #111824  by NSP

Smolder wrote:Cool... Glad you snagged one. Those were a great deal as presented.

The E is ceramic, vs the alnico of the D/K. Not as loud or as stiff. More musical and very slightly less hifi. I've not tried a pair mixed... But now that you mention it...
Received the D120 the other day and found it to have significant rub...damn. The seller took it back without issue, but the search continues.

I think I'm gonna go with E's at this point and saw this ad. It's in my neck of the woods and could drive there. Should I be concerned about the amount of glue around the dust caps?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-E120-16ohm- ... 446wt_1197

Thanks!
 #111827  by hippieguy1954

Looks like who ever reconed them wasn't all that experienced and got a little sloppy with the glue or it could just be his technique. Shouldn't be a problem.

Did you notice they are 16 ohm? :smile: :smile: :smile:
 #111843  by NSP

hippieguy1954 wrote:Looks like who ever reconed them wasn't all that experienced and got a little sloppy with the glue or it could just be his technique. Shouldn't be a problem.

Did you notice they are 16 ohm? :smile: :smile: :smile:
Thanks for the input.

yeah, 16ohm is not a prob. I'd go parallel with the Carvin set to 8ohm.
 #111867  by NSP

Would there be any issues with using a E120 16ohm recone kit on a K120 8ohm speaker?
 #120686  by Vin-Tone

I am going to try and answer a couple of questions here. The number on the cone MW E120 is that of a aftermarket parts supplier. As far as I know it is the best aftermarket cone available for the K/E-120. Here is the Aftermarket Story in a nut shell. A very small number of companies make raw speaker parts (voice coils, spiders,cones,dust caps and gasket sets) NONE of these manufactures sell recone kits. The kits that are out there are just assembled by mostly speaker distributors that have recone shops. These kits are only as good as the parts they have decided to use and quality of their workmanship. Even with a good recone kit, the final assembly and technique used play a very important part in how the speaker will sound and preform. The Factory kits that JBL currently offer for these speakers are all the same except for the impedance. Further more the E series kit differs from the K series and the D series. These kits will work, But they will SOUND DIFFERENT than ORIGINAL. If you use a E series kit in a D series speaker it does not make it sound like a E series speaker. There are a number of reasons, for this maybe we can get more into that at a later time. On the plus side, It is no problem to change the speakers impedance by using 4/8/16 ohm voice coil.

Dutch
 #120689  by Smolder

Dutch - glad you dropped in! My D120 re-cone sounds great. Slightly less crisp and slightly less bright as my best original D120, but the difference is about the same as between D120's. Your work is a lot closer than the wampum (sp?) re-cone or the K120 I have.
 #120690  by Vin-Tone

Smolder wrote:Dutch - glad you dropped in! My D120 re-cone sounds great. Slightly less crisp and slightly less bright as my best original D120, but the difference is about the same as between D120's. Your work is a lot closer than the wampum (sp?) re-cone or the K120 I have.

Thanks Man, Anytime