#111034  by Bear62

I have a friend building a high end Mando Kit. He asked me for help recommending top of the line pickups to be built in as part of the instrument! Any advice is greatly welcomed! He plays all styles from blue grass to classical to folk. Not much of a death metal guy! Thanks again,

Gregg
 #111037  by tcsned

Does he want an internal or external solution?

I'm a big fan of Schertler pickups. I've got them on both of my acoustics one is internal (Taylor 810) the other is the Dyn-G (external) on my Del'Arte gypsy jazz guitar. They're the best ones I've ever used. Very natural sounding, good for most any style.

Their internal mando pickup is the Resocoil and the external is the Dyn-M. They work best with their Class-A preamp but I'm sure you can use most anything for that.

The mandolinist in my bluegrass band uses one on his Red Diamond mando and it sounds great.
 #111046  by Bear62

Thanks for the assistance. He definitely is looking for an internal w/ an endpin permanent jack. A set it and forget solution. I shall take a look at the Schertler pickups and pass this on to him. These boys are top notch players (Mando, Cello, Viloa and Violin), just not gear heads. I am a guitar player w/ a few LR Baggs I-Beams and an Element that work very well for me. Thanks again.

Gr8ful Gregg
GDTRFB
 #111051  by tcsned

No problem, one of the guys I play with does or at least used to be a tech rep for them (he's a Winfield Nat'l flat picking champ) I could put you friend in touch with him. I've got no skin in the game I just love the pickups and the amp i have. He also is as up on the acoustic instrument gear as anyone in the country so he might have a better recommendation.
 #111093  by Bear62

Thanks so much- Their amps look cool too. I like the xlr out and the simple install! My friend Jon is going to a 2n week seminar/workshop in July to build an instrument for his brother. They have been sitting on this beautiful kit for some time now. Cannot wait to see it. Walnut body, cedar top pau fero fret board! Smokin. Thanks again for the help. If it is good enough for the champ........

G
 #111097  by tcsned

I have the Unico amp - I love it. I've used it for both acoustics, for my guitar synth, and a couple of times as the PA for my bluegrass band.

There's some other stuff out there I'm sure. I'll just left Scott a message, maybe he'll have some other ideas.
 #111103  by Bear62

Got it thanks! Gonna check it out!

Regards,

Gregg aka Bear.

Funny thing is my dad (RIP) was calling me Bear well before the whole dead thing came on! Worked out perfect. My folks liked the Dead too! I still have some of mom's original Pete Seger albums. She met him in college! I digress