#111071  by mprowe23

I've been playing around with my Fender strat to some classic dead songs. Can anyone help me get that signature Jerry tone on my Marshall? Thanks in advance!
 #111074  by rkubik

I have the 30 watt version. For me this is what I use. WARNING: I am by no means a Jerry sound expert or claim to be. It is my opinion I can get fairly close with these settings.

I like to use the clean channel with reverb at the high end

Treble all the way up
Bass 1 or less.

Volume knob on amp at 10:00 or more depending on if I am home alone

Volume knob on guitar 9-10

Split coil for Middle super II on my strat and tone knob I play with anywhere between 7 and 10. For me this is the key.

If you switch from the clean setting you can get some nice growl but again I keep the gain at the very minimum and bass at maybe 2. The rest is mostly the same besides adjusting the amp volume.

Hope this helps
 #111083  by mprowe23

Thanks for the help man! Where do you usually have the FX level for reverb at? Mine goes up to 10
Also where does Contour fit in to the sound?
 #111084  by rkubik

on my effects knob there is no numerical scale just a range before it hits the next effect, which I think on mine is either delay or chorus. I have it near the top of the reverb range.

To be honest I can't remember where my contour is set, I think 4 or 5. I am at work and can't see it so that si the best of my memory. I don't really play with the contour at all or use the overdrive side much unless I am wanting to play something more heavy like AC/DC. I have found the extremes end of the contour can really make the sound shitty in my opinion. I prefer the clean side and let the natural sound and distortion come out that way, to me I get a more "Jerry" sound from that side.
 #111085  by wolftigerrosebud

I found when I put split Super IIs in my guitar that they're really the key; the amp, the cords, the effects, the speaker and the cabinet are all kind of finishing touches. The tone of those Super IIs just nails it, pretty much regardless of what amp you plug into.

But in the end it's all about high treble, no bass, and that way Jerry plays that's almost like an exaggerated version of Monk's piano playing -- like each note is barely eeking by, which makes it sound amazing. It's like he's playing along the edge of a razor blade. Fuckin' fearless.