#110770  by Jon S.

For players interested in the Line 6 M13, as promised, here is what I'm currently using as my 12 effects in my Jerry scene (I have other scenes set up for other types of music, e.g., blues, U2, etc. - but this is the scene I use with the Thankful Dads). I'm posting both to share with others - perhaps give you some new ideas to try - as well as to invite you to share any ideas you have that I could learn from (look at it as open-sourcing for Jerry M13 scenes!).

What I'm not doing:
- claiming that the M13 or any individual models in it are "better" than the originals they copy;
- claiming that the M13 models "sound just like Jerry";
- suggesting Jerry would have used one had he lived long enough to see one;
- trying to talk anyone into buying or trying an M13;
- inviting requests to create mp3s or videos to demo the models audibly (not my schtick).

It's just a box of rain - believe it if you need it, if you don't just pass it on. 8) If you have an M13 now, perhaps you'll want to try these at home and let us know what you think of 'em. If you don't but want to hear them, you can always print out or copy the jpegs below and bring them with you to any music store with 3 effect models in each post. The M13 is configured to allow you to have 12 effects available on each scene in banks of 4 sets of 3. You can turn on, or not turn on, any one of the 3 effects in each bank at a time, i.e., you can run up to 4 effects simultaneously (1+1+1+1 from each bank of 3), fewer if you like, but not more simultaneously (unless the effect is a global one like the M13s noise gate, which I've turned on in my unit and configured to run as transparently as I can get it - quite nice, actually).
Last edited by Jon S. on Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:55 am, edited 6 times in total.
 #110772  by Jon S.

Bank 1:

Top: Phaser

One of several phaser models. This one is based on the MXR Phase 90. I use it mostly playing rhythm in space jams, e.g. I like to use mine in the transition from China Cat to Rider. I will sometimes, for spacey leads, run: Phaser - Classic Distortion - Tube Echo - Octo Reverb.

Middle: Screamer

Not to difficult to guess what this models. I actually don't use it all that much playing Dead. Examples would be on Bobby-type slide parts and more overdriven leads like on songs like U.S. Blues.

Bottom: Boost Comp

Based on the MXR Micro Amp. This effect, for me, has one function only: to level my output when I'm using the Tron Up effect after it.

Last edited by Jon S. on Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #110774  by Jon S.

Bank 2

Top: Classic Distortion

This is modeled on the ProCo Rat. I really like it for Jerry tones. The trick is to crank the output and lower the drive. I use this model on most of my leads.

Middle: Classic Distortion

The same model as above with the output up even higher and the drive even lower, to the point of ending up only slight above unity gain for the output. I use this occasionally on leads and at other times almost like an "exciter" to add just a bit more cut and edge to whatever I'm playing.

Bottom: Tron Up

Modeled on the Mu-Tron III. This effect is very highly sensitive to even small tweaks in the 5 setting knobs so if you use it you've got to take the time to experiment 1st to set it up best for your attack and guitar. And always precede it with a comp. or it will get snarky on ya!

Last edited by Jon S. on Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #110775  by Jon S.

3rd Bank

Top: Tube Echo

Based on the Maestro EP-1 (there is also a Dry Thru version in the M13 but I like this version). I have this set for multiple repeats that get softer with each. In my Jerry scene, I use this effect almost only for spacey leads.

Middle: Lo Res Delay

Just like what it sounds like: delay with some grit/distortion. Modeled on a 1st generation, 8-bit resolution digital delay. Mine is set up for just one moderate repeat. Works for me for leads to songs like Althea.

Bottom: Bass Octaver

The M13 offers a bunch of Octaver models. Not sure what it's based on (it was included in the last firmware update so it's not in my owners manual). This is the one with no added distortion + adds one octave below. Cats Under the Stars, anyone? ;)

Last edited by Jon S. on Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #110776  by Jon S.

4th Bank

Top: Tri-Chorus

Again, the M13 offers a bunch of models of this type of effect. This one, based on the Song Bird/Dytronics Tri-Stereo Chorus, sounds the lushest to me and I like lush when it comes to chorus because I use mine primarily in conjunction with volume swells (pinky on guitar's volume control) to emulate an organ. We don't have keys in our band so I find myself using this effect a fair amount e.g., when playing rhythm on the choruses of songs.

Middle: Octo Reverb

This effect is cooler than shit! I have no clue what it's based on (Line 6 describes it as follows: "Create a lush, ambient space with a harmonized decay whose harmonic denseness is controlled by the time knob.") Very U2-ish. Wonderful for chording during spacey parts.

Last: Tube Comp

This is my all-around clean boost. Based on the Teletronix LA-2A studio compressor. There are other models on the M13 developed expressly as clean boosts. After experimenting with them all, I like this model best for that purpose.

#110786  by Jon S.

The Bass Octaver's tracking is sufficiently good for me not to hear any associated delays though I will tell you that I'm not extremely picky in that regard. What is more impressive to me, though, is the tracking on the synth models, many of which are doing quite a bit more to the tone than adding an octave below. For example, I'm not in the band anymore where we were covering the U2's Mysterious Ways but when I was I copied the M13 settings off of a You Tube video. Now it wasn't the guy below's settings - I used the more complicated setup he criticizes but listen in particular to how the Slow Filter tracks (you may have to right click and open in a new tab). It's more than adequate for rock 'n' and roll!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h_OFbnlrMU

Here's what I actually used (a bit more happening here):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hui8IA7 ... re=related
 #110840  by eric

good stuff... I've seen a bunch of the octo-verb patches on YT ..this unit just seems to have so much bang for the buck. So many sonic possibilities with the 2 expression pedals and the ability to integrate into your existing pedals. And the dedicated looping ability just puts me over the edge... what a great unit!

Been waiting to scoop up an M9 off ebay for quite some time now...thanks for expediting that decision!
 #110863  by Jon S.

Line 6 now offers an M5, too. No looper. But pretty amazing for $199. A great choice for someone who already has his dream 'board set but wants to add the flexibility of >100 additional effects immediately on hand for different circumstances. And if you replace your tuner with it (it includes a tuner), you won't even need additional pedalboard real estate.

http://line6.com/m5/

#116232  by Jon S.

For Ryan :)
 #116318  by Jon S.

ADDENDUM: Just came up with this. Assuming you have an OBEL (otherwise you'll lose the drive & tone as you turn down the volume), run the first into the second (both are already my scene recommendations/no additional "real estate" required), lower the volume on your guitar to taste, and wa la - decent ballpark Live/Dead Dark Star tone!

#116469  by mrMix

Thanks for sharing! I've skinny-d down my rig using an HD500 with a similar tone pallette and would be happy to share the bundle - 3 scenes - jerryNormal, jerryMutron & jerrySpace. These effects and also the blackface twin amp with Jerry settings etc. I usually run this right to PA and at home I use a pair of yamaha monitors.
 #116471  by Mosfed

Dude if I had an M13 I would be seriously grateful. That was a very kind post to share your hard work. Well done.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
 #116473  by Jon S.

I only did here with one piece of my gear what countless others have also done for us with theirs but you're very welcome. :)