Chat about Equipment Info
 #107568  by Jon S.

Saturday, April 14, 2012!

With the blessing of the event's organizer, Bill Niersbach, I'd like to invite all interested RUKIND'ers to this years North Carolina Gear Fest, Beer, and BBQ. It's a super-cool gathering of musicians from multiple internet forums, including Birds and Moons, The Thorn Page, The Gear Page, and now RUKIND, too, for an afternoon of checking out each others guitars (amps, too), seeing old friends, making new ones, feasting, quaffing and jamming.

The pic below shows some of last year's participants at the start of the event with others rolling in over the course of the afternoon (that's me on the far right with the Jerrycaster). At last year's event, during one of the more relatively subdued moments, I started playing some Dead, was immediately joined by 5 or 6 other Deadhead guitarists, and it turned into the jam highlight of the afternoon. Indeed, folks are already posting on other forums how we're going to do even more Dead jamming this year.

Every year includes some leading luthiers and amp builders, e.g., Ron Thorn last year. I know some of who'll likely be coming this year but the truth is you never know for sure 'til you're there. But one luthier who will be there this year for sure is Phil Jacoby, who built my two Jerrycasters. And yes, there're coming with me. :cool:

If you'd like to come or are just curious, please post here or PM me. You can reach Bill directly on BAM or TGP or I'll be happy to put you in touch with him with questions I can't answer regarding the arrangements.

Why not?! :smile:

A Baltimore friend is driving to me in No. VA and then we're driving to join a Richmond friend for the ride to Raliegh. Last year we made it up and back in day and probably will again this year. But for those who want to stay over, there's a Courtyard Marriott for under 70 bucks nearby with a Hooters across the street; the Hyatt is a little more upscale but is an extra 20 dollars; the Sheraton lists rooms at $98 and there is a Jimmy Johns, Starbucks and a high class Mexican restaurant called Mex within 6 blocks. All are very close to the venue.

Last edited by Jon S. on Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #107575  by Jon S.

Excellent! For now, just mark down the date - Saturday, April 14 - and I'll return soon with more specific info., address, etc.
 #107748  by tcsned

That sounds cool, it's only a few hours from Blacksburg. No gigs booked that day . . .

Though I would suggest doing the guitar playing before the rib eating :lol:
 #107784  by Jon S.

Of course, I'm bringing my #1 Jerrycaster - I have to with its builder (Phil Jacoby) joining us this year. In fact, I may bring both J-casters ... and my Tele (can't very well travel sans one's Tele, can one?). And of course I'll be instigating the Dead jam again this year. :smile:

Here're some updates:

The event will be in a huge clubhouse - a nice big venue with a piano, plenty of seating, a kitchen, and for any who wanna join the polar bear club (in NC, they call April weather arctic-like :P ), a swimming pool. The address of the clubhouse is

6333 Kit Creek Road
Morrisville, NC 27560

and you can get driving directions at http://www.kittscreek.com/location/

Our host, Bill, is not soliciting donations, however, it does cost him out of pocket for the clubhouse, BBQ, liquor, etc., so while donations are absolutely not required, it would be a nice gesture to throw him a small one at the event.

As usual, Bill is playing coy as to the official start time:
The official start time is when the bbq is officially done!! LOLOLOL It will all be kicking off around noon I would guess and be in full swing by 1 - 2. I think it was around 1:30 when we took the group photo last year????
It's still early so the roll call is preliminary but here's who we've got so far:

Birds and Moons:

Cathy (+Francric)
Darkstar11
Phillybri
Gilky
Greenburst (chuck the hippie)
Jmintzer (staying at Marriott on hospitality dr)
Crgtr
Martysnarf
Natedogg and Lauren
Sweetswitch86
Jon Silberman (that's me)
Hippietim
Brad737
Bullfrogblues
Conneazoo + missus
Big Country
FallofHumanity

The Gear Page:

Greggorypeccary
Hgb500
HooBass
Saneff
Smgbad
Tapeworm and co.

Thorn Discussion Page:

Ed
Wayne
Carl
Snoopy (Mike H and his wife)

RigTalk:

Tcrash
Threadkiller
Ampjunkie (MikeyG)
Severinsteel
LesPaul3013
Protoplasma (Rhodes Amps) (Maybe flying in!! WOOT!!)

rukind (more Deadheads, yay!!)

MichaelCarolina
paulinnc
Tennessee Jedi (Tom) (I think - are you, Tom?)
tscned

Maybe's:

JDinSC
Mike Duncan
Shadco
Buildermike
02Singlecut
Harker1440
Weshunter
Puh5150
Cmatthes
Funky Chicken
Soli528
Musicman1950
Jetydosa
HollowBlue

Luthiers and Builders:

Greg and Ossie from 3Monkeys will 99% be here
Jack Briggs 95%
Stu from Fatsound 75%
Kyle Rhodes from Rhodes Amplification (trying to fly in)
Phil Jacoby from Philtone Guitar Co.

#110642  by Phil Bradbury

My name is Phil Bradbury and I build the Little Walter Tube Amps. I would love to come to your party and being a couple amps. Check out my work at www.littlewaltertubeamps.com. I am on the way to the Dallas show and will be exhibiting and playing bass for Paul Franklin. Please let me know if you are interested. Thanks, Phil
 #110650  by Jon S.

I'm sure it will be totally cool to have you join us! Please contact our host, Bill Niersbach, directly, at bill.niersbachATgmail.com (replace AT w/@), to let him know you're coming and for whatever logistical info. you need concerning demoing your amps (say Jon Silberman referred you from the RUKIND Grateful Dead forum).
 #110652  by Jon S.

Here's the latest participants list. I'm especially pleased to see that luthier Terry McInturff is coming now, too. I haven't seen Terry since 2000 Summer NAMM but I've played plenty of his guitars since then and besides being a great guy personally, he is a darn talented luthier.

http://forums.birdsandmoons.com/forum/s ... tcount=181

http://www.mcinturffguitars.com/
 #112540  by Jon S.

I hope to meet some of you tomorrow. Please introduce yourself to the tall guy with the 'stache. :smile: