#110423  by Cmnaround

How hard would it be for me to gut my DC400A, currently with active eq set up, and replace it with just 2 new dimarzio pick ups, keeping the ability to switch between single and double coil? No buffer or OBEL wiring.

I'm getting a lot of cut out and scratching with my pick up selector switch, even after replacing, and the active eq tends to kick on once in a while even when I'm not pushing down the volume knob to engage it. The pick ups are kinda hot too so I'd like to hear what other options would sound like.

I can solder, but the cavity is pretty crowded now with all the carvin electronics, and I want to find out how much room there would be with just 2 regular wired pick ups, and if I needed to do anything else.

Ideally would want to keep the 4 knobs and use 2 as volume and two as tone for each pick up, and keep the coli switched for the same.

Thanks
 #110468  by hippieguy1954

Did you buy it new? If so, why spec out a Carvin with all those expensive options, buy it and then rip them out? I can understand if you bought it used and I guess we all change our minds. Anyway, you have to decide exactly what you want before you do anything. Pretty much anything you can think of can be done.
:smile: :smile: :smile:
 #110529  by gr8fulbluz

I have often wanted to swap out the pups in my Carvin. I have active electronics and a piezo in the bridge as well. Honestly i am just lazy. But here from the Carvin site is a link to a PDF manual, which you may already have and may not help.>>>http://www.carvinservice.com/crg/manual ... ev2008.pdf
. .
>carvin manuals page<

I have had the guitar new since 2002. I love it. I like the neck pickup and would not swap it. But i would not mind swapping the bridge pup out. It is not a bad pup i dont hate it, just not a big fan.
Also I dont wanna mess up the actives or piezo. That is a concern. And i have not done any pickup swaps in the last 15 plus years. I may be a bit nervous. So i wait until i have a break from work and family and use the bridge pup. On the back burner you could say.

Good luck. Lemme know how it goes.
 #111144  by softmachine72

I did a Jerry re- wire an my band mate's Carvin I did a swimming pool mount kept the Carvin in the neck position and added the SDS in the middle and bridge. I completely bailed on all the Carvin electronics added a 5 position and an OBEL sounds great. I am no super impressed with the on board pre-amp in the Carvin guitars. You need to add coil tap switches or you could just use the tap pots that are already on the guitar. I replaced the ones on the Carvin with the Allen Bradley RV4N pots they are not the best quality from my experience.