When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #110164  by easytoslip

Please don't send this video to the Grateful Dead tribute video contest that people have been talking about. I'm not comfortable with being in the spotlight and have no interest in performing on a stage right now. I just like having fun and being a jukebox for myself. I like a song, I wanna hear it at a particular moment, I play it. Saves time. Much obliged. TH
Last edited by easytoslip on Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #110166  by playingdead

Nice! You've got a very good voice, your singing is perfect and right on pitch. It reminds me a bit of Sharon Van Etten's voice.

What you're doing on the guitar is interesting, you're playing very precise multiple-note figures that are a big step above just strumming the chords -- some people just flail away while they sing. I think the challenge for you is to build up some more dexterity in your hands so you can play those figures and changes a little more fluidly, then work some dynamics and nuances into that to go along with your singing.

Thanks for sharing. It's easy to post videos of a whole band but it takes some courage to do it solo. Keep it up!
 #110167  by hippieguy1954

Very nice! You play and sing well! Sounds good! Also sounds like you don't have it memorized or haven't played it enough to do so. You will find (as you might have already) that if you learn the song well enough to be able to play it all the way through without looking at the music (memorized), it will flow much better because then you only have to glance at the words a little until you memorize them! Keep up the good work!
:smile: :smile: :smile:
 #110175  by Pete B.

Sounds good, E2S.
'Coupla thoughts/observations...
Ones ability to sing the heck out of a song increases dramatically once you no longer need the words and chords in front of you.
I think you need to practice tapping your foot while you play. This helps with regard to "getting up to cruising altitude" [so to speak] and staying there.
At this point I would reccomend playing along with your Fave recording of the song and dialing in things like tapping your foot and smoothing out your fingerpicking approach. Maybe work on an alternating Bass line with your thumb.
If you're going to play it in "C", I'm not sure of the need for a Capo... but that's just personal preference. You might kick it around in several other Keys and see if there is a better match for your vocal range.
You might consider going to a guitar pick strumming method... just to hear the juxtoposition of guitar picking vs finger-picking (you can really "put a lil' pepper on it" [as they say], with guitar pick).
In the Vid below you can kinda see Joan Baez doing a similar finderpicking style (watch, Bobby has to tune a little after he puts his Capo on... Capo's often times put the instrument out of tune with itself until corrected, and out of tune with other non-capo'd instruments until corrected)...
Closups of Joan at approx 2:20 and 3:20 show she is wearing a plastic thumb pick and, I think, maybe, not sure, two metal fingerpicks... one each on her index and middle fingers... this is another way that fingerpickers can "'put a lil' pepper on it".
So that is another thing you could try, playing with a thump pick and or fingerpicks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViBJLUJ4 ... re=related
In this vid (Dark Hollow is the 2nd song) you can see what a pure Bluegrass strum method looks/sounds like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RkxpFvo__k
 #110182  by easytoslip

pete I can't get either link to send me to anything other than a blank page. help?

edit: are you the Portland dude who plays w Chuckie? If so please say hello and give a warm hug
 #110183  by Pete B.

Tiff, if you mean brutha Chuck Warda, then yes, we are friends. I am probably going to his Thurs Night Jam although this coming Thurs is TigerStrats gig so I might go to that. Chuck is a great musician that is friend to us local DeadHeads.

That's weird. Let me try to post these vids.
Can you see them now?

Last edited by Pete B. on Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #110185  by easytoslip

ah! that's some intense bluegrass. our local kids here do it slow and mellow! :lol:
 #110187  by Pete B.

Dark Hollow starts at the 2min mark of that second vid with Peter Rowan and those guys.
Give a ring if you want to chat for a few.
Pete
503-621-8209
 #110189  by easytoslip

It's a rare day when you see me on a phone! I like to write for primary communication, secondary is body language. It is what it is. :smile:
 #110198  by tcsned

Nice! Your voice is real sweet. Reminds me of how the local girls sing around here. I'd agree with Pete that working at moving away from reading and playing would serve you well. It leads to over thinking and can inhibit smoothness and consistency. It can also be a crutch. I fall into that trap sometimes too butt mostly my singing takes the hit.

Keep it up! :cool: