#109936  by Tony6Strings

I've got an opportunity to trade my 78 Pro Reverb (master volume, mid control, solid state ultralinear rectifier) for a 75 Twin Reverb (100 watt, etc... you guys all know what these are...) The Twin has one JBL d120 speaker, the other is the standard Fender/Utah speaker. I've been on a quest for that Jerry tone, and while my Pro does a really nice job, I can't help but think that the Twin will get me a little closer, especially if I can find another d120 to throw in there. Tolex on the Twin is a lot more beat up than on my Pro, but I don't really care about that. So, whaddaya think? Should I trade?
 #109937  by Smolder

The JBL alone would do it for me. You can easily set the twin up for half power... But also have the full power as an option.
 #109978  by Smolder

I'd be interested in hearing from any tech savy folks here the ramifications of ultra linear transformers (such as is in a 79 pro) on achieving Jerry/Bob like tone?
 #110002  by claytushaywood

I thought those later fenders were 135 watts? If not- isnt the twin not an ultralinear? My internet is goin super slow and I dont wanna check the schematics...

I just wanted to say the guy from shakedown amps does a great job on the ultralinears from the videos I've heard, but apparently doesnt do many of them and wont give me a hint on the cost
 #110006  by hippieguy1954

Not sure what years are 135 watt ultra linears....I think they started in '75. Anyway, ya can tell if it is a 135 watt ultra linear if it has a push pull master volume and also, it will say 135 watts on the back and has a direct output in the back. They are excellent amps. Waldo has said that the pre amp mods, on his site, can be done to these Twins, but I don't know what Shakedown is doing to them.
Yea, the Shakedown amps guy is kinda wierd. Not sure what his deal is, I asked him about a year ago to do some mods to mine. He said he was in Connecticut and I needed to get my amp to him as soon as I can cause he needed to pay rent. We private messaged and then I never heard from him again. He seems to know what he is doing because he has done work for a member or two here and the feedback has been good, but I don't know how dependable he is.
What we need to do is find out exactly what he is doing to these amps and do it ourselves. It can't be that much of a secret or that hard to do. Maybe he will tell us or make some wiring diagrams for us.
:smile: :smile: :smile:
 #110135  by claytushaywood

duh... way to ruin our chances with that post hippieguy- i move to motion a deletion of most of that post... please. if you wanna have any chances of it, that'd probably be a good idea. All I'd really need is some up close pictures
 #110137  by mijknahs

Tony6Strings wrote:I've got an opportunity to trade my 78 Pro Reverb (master volume, mid control, solid state ultralinear rectifier) for a 75 Twin Reverb (100 watt, etc... you guys all know what these are...) The Twin has one JBL d120 speaker, the other is the standard Fender/Utah speaker. I've been on a quest for that Jerry tone, and while my Pro does a really nice job, I can't help but think that the Twin will get me a little closer, especially if I can find another d120 to throw in there. Tolex on the Twin is a lot more beat up than on my Pro, but I don't really care about that. So, whaddaya think? Should I trade?
The Twin is probably nicer if you wanted a combo. Lots more headroom. But they both are about the same if using them as preamps. I have one of each and use them both as preamps (pretty similar) but only use the Twin for a combo amp.

Jim
 #110143  by hippieguy1954

claytushaywood wrote:duh... way to ruin our chances with that post hippieguy- i move to motion a deletion of most of that post... please. if you wanna have any chances of it, that'd probably be a good idea. All I'd really need is some up close pictures
What are you talking about? I'm giving out good information and telling the truth! If you need to suck up to someone to get what you want, that is your business, but I don't live that way and never will. I tell the truth and let the chips fall where they may!
 #110283  by claytushaywood

hippieguy1954 wrote:
claytushaywood wrote:duh... way to ruin our chances with that post hippieguy- i move to motion a deletion of most of that post... please. if you wanna have any chances of it, that'd probably be a good idea. All I'd really need is some up close pictures
What are you talking about? I'm giving out good information and telling the truth! If you need to suck up to someone to get what you want, that is your business, but I don't live that way and never will. I tell the truth and let the chips fall where they may!
i dont really see the good info in that post. "I dont know... He seems... we need to find out...."- speak dat truth brotha! Truly a fine example of free speech empowering the people.
 #110310  by hippieguy1954

claytushaywood wrote:
hippieguy1954 wrote:
i dont really see the good info in that post. "I dont know... He seems... we need to find out...."- speak dat truth brotha! Truly a fine example of free speech empowering the people.
Well, claytushaywood, you are really showning your ignorance! There is a lot more to my post than what you quoted. Also, what you did quote is the truth and for you to make lite of me as well as truth just shows what kind of person you are. Why don't you get your head out of your ass!
 #110362  by Tony6Strings

This is the GD music forum, named rukind...? Or did I take a wrong turn somewhere, and end up in some dark hollow.... :-) Back to amps though, tonight was the first night gigging the new Twin. I love it. It's 100 watts of pure awesome. There's something magic that happens when you find that perfect strat and play it through that perfect Fender amp. Leo, you are the MAN! :hail:
 #110363  by hippieguy1954

Tony6Strings wrote:This is the GD music forum, named rukind...? Or did I take a wrong turn somewhere, and end up in some dark hollow.... :-) Back to amps though, tonight was the first night gigging the new Twin. I love it. It's 100 watts of pure awesome. There's something magic that happens when you find that perfect strat and play it through that perfect Fender amp. Leo, you are the MAN! :hail:
Hey, Tony6Strings, you didn't take any wrong turns! Most of us are very kind. It's just that there is not a test to prove your kind before ya can join the forum, and as you know there is no shortage of dicks and suck ups in the would!

Anyway, glad to hear you like the Twin! They are awesome amps. Leo definetly knew what he was doing! Enjoy and best of luck with your Twin!
 #110383  by Adam Deckard

Tony6Strings wrote:Or did I take a wrong turn somewhere, and end up in some dark hollow.... :hail:
Dude this place has its share of that kind of stuff. One of the reasons I frequent this page, I find, is the observation of human interaction and behavior a lot of the time in addition to drooling over others' materialism and a general obsession with a rock and roll band. I am sure it is like that on any forum page as all are inhabited by humans. This forum however you will notice has an abundance of folks who do their best to refrain from that sort of thing and will avoid flaming even when provoked which is also interesting to me. I will get on the computer most days and read five or six news articles that tell sad or horrific stories and then come here to remind me that there is still a chance for humanity. This truly is, for the most part, a very KIND atmosphere! Anyhoo, i am off today so back to playtime... [grabs banjo]
 #110390  by mijknahs

Adam Deckard wrote:
Tony6Strings wrote:Or did I take a wrong turn somewhere, and end up in some dark hollow.... :hail:
Dude this place has its share of that kind of stuff. One of the reasons I frequent this page, I find, is the observation of human interaction and behavior a lot of the time in addition to drooling over others' materialism and a general obsession with a rock and roll band. I am sure it is like that on any forum page as all are inhabited by humans. This forum however you will notice has an abundance of folks who do their best to refrain from that sort of thing and will avoid flaming even when provoked which is also interesting to me. I will get on the computer most days and read five or six news articles that tell sad or horrific stories and then come here to remind me that there is still a chance for humanity. This truly is, for the most part, a very KIND atmosphere! Anyhoo, i am off today so back to playtime... [grabs banjo]
+1 (especially the banjo part)
 #114222  by oldsmojo

""Yea, the Shakedown amps guy is kinda wierd. Not sure what his deal is, I asked him about a year ago to do some mods to mine. He said he was in Connecticut and I needed to get my amp to him as soon as I can cause he needed to pay rent. We private messaged and then I never heard from him again. He seems to know what he is doing because he has done work for a member or two here and the feedback has been good, but I don't know how dependable he is.
What we need to do is find out exactly what he is doing to these amps and do it ourselves. It can't be that much of a secret or that hard to do. Maybe he will tell us or make some wiring diagrams for us. """
Hippieguy..I am not on here very often at all but I certainly do come in and look around from time to time. When I find something like this, It certainly makes me want to not come back again. Its just NOT and honest post...if it were , I wouldnt say anything. The truth is I gave you a price quote when we pm'd and you pms'd about the price. If someone says they need the money for something and that they want to do the work asap well.. thats one: private talk that doesn't need to be reposted... and two: your last opportunity to get me to work on your amp at a good price.
After reading this thread ..it assured me why I dont do these amps for just anyone.And no Its not cool to post pictures of my work when I ask my customers not to. Not that what i do is so damn secret!..I do it with a lot of love and care for the final outcome! The amount of time I have spent getting these to sound the way I like them is not something you should be claiming to go ahead and "copy so you can do it yourselves" While "copying" has been a huge part of this entire website, everyone should really keep one thing in their hearts. Be kind and try to be original and if you want to copy then just be respectful. Thanks and best of luck with your gear. ~Joe