#110072  by Tony6Strings

Brought this Twin home today. There's a vertical crack that spans pretty much the whole side of the cabinet. I want to take off the side panel and glue it, then put it back together. Any tips on doing this, IE how to detach the side panel from the rest of the cab, IE is it glued in, staples, nails etc... Also, any tips on getting the tolex off in one piece and then putting it back on when I'm done? Here's some pics... WTH? Nope, no pics. It says "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached." Is this cause I'm new? Anyways, any helpful hints or suggestions would be much appreciated.

:smile: :smile:
 #110075  by hippieguy1954

If you are going to remove the tolex, use a good hot hair dryer or a heat gun and it will peal off prertty easy, but you cannot reuse it. You can buy new tolex and it is available in different colors if that matters. You need a little practice putting it on and you could use the old tolex as a templet. Also, you could remove the tolex, fix the crack and (if its a plywood twin cab) sand it down and stain it (no tolex).
In order to fix the crack/seperated seam, it's best to remove the tolex first anyway to be able to see exactly how it should be fixed...glue and staple, or glue and screws etc. If you cant use any fasteners like staples or screws, wood glue and most important clamp it while it drys.
You might want to think about purchasing an empty head cab for it and make or purchase a seperate speaker cab.
:smile: :smile: :smile:
 #110078  by Tony6Strings

Thanks man. A natural finish cab would be cool. Come to think of it, I think I saw some different colored tolex somewhere, maybe I could be the first one in my town with a colored twin... Hey... I wonder if they have tie dye colored tolex, kind of how they do with the duct tape... :-) Like a bluish purplish tie dye... That would be soooooo freakin cool! In any case, I gotta fix the darn thing first. Regarding a separate head cab etc... I'd really like to keep this as a combo. I may just look for another twin cab if I can find one cheap. This thing's pretty beat up and I don't know how well I would do on a refurbish on my first try...
 #110080  by hippieguy1954

You can buy a brand new twin cab or just the head cab (just goggle it), but with 2 JBL's in there it's gonna weigh a lot. I've also seen some home made wood finished twin cabs looking great too.
 #110082  by Tony6Strings

So you can! http://store.marshamps.com/product_info ... vjdrfvfmh4 That's awesome. For the time being I'm going to just tighten up the joint where the top meets the side with some wood screws, I know it's not the best practice way to do it but I've got to gig and I don't have the time right now to take it all down and do it right... Guy who I got it from gigged it incessantly and it held up for him as is, so I'm thinking a couple screws will be fine for a little while anyway. Yeah, those JBL's are freakin heavy. I've only got one in there, I can only imagine what it'll be like when I get another... Worth it though. BTW, I've always liked natural finish combos. Mesa Boogie makes some insanely nice ones.
 #110113  by TI4-1009