#109647  by havs01

I've been racking my brain over the last several days trying to get chording right on Weirs 1972 Europe Ramble on Rose......It sounds like a triad and the one I play sounds to bright not edgy enough. I'm playing D triad - D at the fifth fret A at the 10th and d at the 10th. The d note sounds to nice ?? I hope I'm explaining this clear but it sounds like a harder chuckd triad or just his attack...or is it an effect? Would appreciate any help on this
 #109651  by jeffm725

Dont really need any effects for Europe 72 Bobby. That is all Fret hand combined with Right hand attack and amp settings.

Might be able to help but your triad description is a bit confusing?
 #109652  by jeffm725

Back then for the Ramble on rose intros he uses the "G Shape" barre chord which is very common for Weir, back then and Always.

So that intro D he is playing is Fretted with Pinky on the 10th Fret Low E string, Ring Finger on the 9th Fret A string and then Barre the D,G,B strings with the index. He then (as always) hammers out of this chord shape Mostly on the A string from the 8th to 9th fret and then hitting the octave D on the 7th Fret of the G string.

Dont take my word for it, watch the first few seconds of this:

cplayer2 liked this
 #109653  by havs01

Jeff....thanks very much Im hearing it. Is it the octave that I was hearing at the end of the hammer that Gives it that edgy little punch. Sorry for the dramatic confusion explanation I just can't describe it......The first time I hear it is at the 48 second mark
 #109654  by jeffm725

havs01 wrote:Jeff....thanks very much Im hearing it. Is it the octave that I was hearing at the end of the hammer that Gives it that edgy little punch. Sorry for the dramatic confusion explanation I just can't describe it......The first time I hear it is at the 48 second mark
I got ya, yeah, I hear what your after. Bobby is always hammering Seconds, or Seconds to thirds or 6ths. but it is all out of that chord shape I listed so just embellish out of that shape and you'll find it!
 #109657  by havs01

Fantastic....I'll look forward to be spending the next few hours in this chord shape. :-) While I'm thinking along these lines any other chord Shapes like this essential in playn Bob to enlighten me on
 #109748  by easytoslip

havs01 wrote:Fantastic....I'll look forward to be spending the next few hours in this chord shape. :-) While I'm thinking along these lines any other chord Shapes like this essential in playn Bob to enlighten me on
havs, there's a ton of that info on this board. I was just reading up on it yesterday but I'll be damned if I can't find it now. Pretty sure it was a CAGED discussion, those being the primary chord shapes Bob use(s/d). Also I remember Jeff M saying he does a lot of sevenths (chords)
 #109758  by jeffm725

sevenths arent really a weir style. sevenths are played when sevenths are called for. Now 5ths or "five" chords on the other hand...all over the place
 #109759  by strumminsix

jeffm725 wrote:sevenths arent really a weir style. sevenths are played when sevenths are called for. Now 5ths or "five" chords on the other hand...all over the place
Agreed. If I was to help define "Weir style", it'd include:
1. know CAGED
2. know voicing
3. know invversions
4. know additions to chords for accenting
5. know chord substitutions

it's the substitutions that I struggle with all the time.
cplayer2 liked this
 #109760  by TI4-1009

I think Weir is so underrated. To have Garcia soloing on one side of you and Lesh essentially soloing on the other side, and you're in the middle trying to tie it all together. Not many mortals are up to THAT task.
 #109816  by easytoslip

TI4-1009 wrote:I think Weir is so underrated. To have Garcia soloing on one side of you and Lesh essentially soloing on the other side, and you're in the middle trying to tie it all together. Not many mortals are up to THAT task.
I so dig Weir
 #109817  by easytoslip

jeffm725 wrote:sevenths arent really a weir style. sevenths are played when sevenths are called for. Now 5ths or "five" chords on the other hand...all over the place
good to know
 #109925  by barefootdave

I remember my first show, I thought "who is that ridiculous guy in the short-shorts and how did he get onstage? He must be a temp."

My buddy, who brought me to my first show, said "that's Bobby. He is HALF"

I thought he was crazy, and continued to think that for a couple of years, because I just came to hear Jerry.

At that point, I realized BOB IS RUNNING THE ENTIRE SHOW.

He started out trying to fit between to monsters of technique and tone, but ultimately he drove the whole train.

Thanks, Bob.