Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#109061  by TI4-1009
 Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:38 pm
I was installing my pickups in my pickup ring and found that the Super 2s fit in nicely, but I had to do some grinding to get the SDS-1 in? Comparing the pole spacing the SDS is wider than the Super2. So I'm guessing the SDS is an "F" spaced pickup and the Super 2s are the Gibson style?
 #109070  by redeyedjim
 Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:59 pm
Super II pickups can be either F spaced or Gibson (standard) spaced. Note that F spacing only applies to the spacing of the pole pieces -- the physical size of the bobbins is the same for both F spaced and standard spaced Dimarzio humbuckers. The SDS is longer overall and is only available in F spacing.

PDFs that show the dimensions of all three styles of pickups can be found here:

Dimarzio humbucker dimensions

Dimarzio strat pickup dimensions

On my guitar, mounting the SDS parallel to the humbuckers made it stick out too far on either side of my E strings, so angled it forward 19 degrees:

However, most folks don't do that, and Garcia didn't do that on his guitars, so I guess you have to decide for yourself how you want to handle it.
 #109076  by TI4-1009
 Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:47 am
And if you look at the Herb Greene photos of Tiger, the only pickup that is dead-nuts on in pole piece/string alignment is the good old middle one.

Coincidence? I think not..... :!:
 #109561  by hippieguy1954
 Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:08 am
This is a little off topic, also. Sorry! I am curious as to why you guys are using an SDS and not something like the Fender custom shop 69? :smile: :smile: :smile:
 #109575  by softmachine72
 Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:52 am
garcia used the sds-1 in later years. but I bet the custom shop 69 would be better for the 73-75 wolf\alligator sound.the lat wolf i built had the custom shops installed.