#109473  by havs01

Bob's of the forum:

I'm in the process of putting my first rig together. I'm going for 1972 Weir and I'm looking at a 1968 Dual Showman Reverb head priced at 625. My question is I thought 72 Weir had a showman but with the furman reverb. Will this 68 showman reverb give me the effect I'm going for or will it be to far off to capture 72?
 #109474  by strumminsix

havs01 wrote:Bob's of the forum:

I'm in the process of putting my first rig together. I'm going for 1972 Weir and I'm looking at a 1968 Dual Showman Reverb head priced at 625. My question is I thought 72 Weir had a showman but with the furman reverb. Will this 68 showman reverb give me the effect I'm going for or will it be to far off to capture 72?
You'll get 72 for what the head can offer. But what cab & guitar?
 #109476  by havs01

Es 335 .....other then that totally new project I have nothing else to date. Also what about the price seems low?? I am looking to go with JBL D120 speakers when I find them
 #109479  by strumminsix

havs01 wrote:Es 335 .....other then that totally new project I have nothing else to date. Also what about the price seems low?? I am looking to go with JBL D120 speakers when I find them
That'll make a nice setup and should capture the tone very well!

Price is about $800 these days on average. I've seen 'em go for less too.
 #109487  by havs01

Thanks so far Strummin. Ok Just found out it does not have reverb...Any recommendations on what reverb to use? Also by this time budget will be limited so what effects would be useful....I have mxr phase, boss flange, but early 70's Weir sounds fairly clean other then Reverb. Also am I correct in saying I hear distortion.
 #109488  by strumminsix

havs01 wrote:Thanks so far Strummin. Ok Just found out it does not have reverb...Any recommendations on what reverb to use? Also by this time budget will be limited so what effects would be useful....I have mxr phase, boss flange, but early 70's Weir sounds fairly clean other then Reverb. Also am I correct in saying I hear distortion.
Hmmm, 2 schools of thought:
1 - I wouldn't get it without reverb (used to own a 68 DSR and they are awesome)
2 - get it and an outboard more studioesque reverb (which is what he and Jerry were going for) and be more authentic

Flanger is important and yes, I do hear overdriven tones from Bobby in that era. But most prevalent is an almost muddy tone.
 #109490  by havs01

I've read your suggestion on Flatwounds and I did change string set recently. To ge that muddy tone Best? Are you talking about a jazzy warm bassey tone?
One last question what could I do with my current amp to hold me over and get the closest to this paticular sound as far as settings...Twin Reverb