Chat about Equipment Info
 #108863  by Mandoborg

Just a heads up for those that are interested, the new Guitar World magazine has a nice feature on Furthur, but it's the centerfold that beats anything Playboys done in 30 years !! I was starting to think i was getting ripped off,or too old, because i've never heard of half the bands that are in that magazine anymore !!! This issue pays for my 2 year subscription, although who the heck are Lamb of God and why do they look so angry on the cover ?? :lol:
 #108864  by vwjodyme

Cool! Thanks for the heads up! I let my subscription run out last year just for that reason.
 #108939  by zambiland

Mandoborg wrote:Just a heads up for those that are interested, the new Guitar World magazine has a nice feature on Furthur, but it's the centerfold that beats anything Playboys done in 30 years !! I was starting to think i was getting ripped off,or too old, because i've never heard of half the bands that are in that magazine anymore !!! This issue pays for my 2 year subscription, although who the heck are Lamb of God and why do they look so angry on the cover ?? :lol:
I don't know, they look a little apologetic to me.

What's in the centerfold?
 #109067  by zambiland

Mandoborg wrote: although who the heck are Lamb of God and why do they look so angry on the cover ?? :lol:
After the gig I played on Saturday, the soundguy played the new Lamb of God CD while we were packing up. It made me pretty angry to have to endure that while trying to get all my stuff packed up. Not much that you can consider songwriting going on, a bunch of random riffs. I don't dislike the genre completely, but there has to be something that is compelling other than mindless riffs and a lot of double kick drum.

We're going to rewire our contracts to include requirements that the between set music be lower than 90db and no metal. Packing up music will be no higher than 80db and be only jazz or classical. I'm sick of engineers who love metal and can't wait to crank it when the audience leaves.
 #109115  by jeffm725

God, I was just complaining about the same thing Saturday night. We were packing up with a DJ spinning some horrific crap. After a night of stage volume its the last thing I want to hear. I cant even listen to ANY music on the ride home after gigs (I watch HBO go on my Iphone mounted to the dashboard, it keeps me alert on the 4 am drives home)
 #109120  by aiq

I would love to just have more gigs :cry:.

Worst I ever experienced like that was in the day playing in a hippie country band and hearing disco on the breaks - with taxi girls hired by the club to dance with the oil workers!

Then there was a couple clubs around Trenton that had strippers on the break. The girls were OK but Ladies Nights with the male strippers...I wouldn't wish that on anyone. A roomful of drunk chicks who are not trying to hear a band when they were waiting for "Goliath to drop the G!!!"
 #109131  by vwjodyme

Odd, i have been trying to pick this up for about a week and no one seems to carry guitar world any more. the local music store said they were double charging people so they stopped carrying them, and sent me to cvs/rite aid which stopped too. So i'm like ok i'll just stop by Borders only to find the two i know of are now empty :?
 #109158  by Chuckles

It's a nice piece, but the editing is sloppy. For example, there's a pic of John with his Carvin and they caption it as his PRS. This IS a GUITAR mag, right?

Another example: they have a tab for Touch of Grey and under the "pedal and amp suggestions" they suggest "American combo, with preamp out to stereo tube power amp, and then into vertical column-style cabs with clean & loud American 12-inch speakers". The Treb, Mid and Bass knobs in the illustration are all shown at high noon. Just makes me wonder how much these publications get wrong that readers simply don't know about. Think I'll fire off a letter to the Editor! :x
 #109163  by Jon S.

I was at a Lamb of God show the other night where the sound guy played some Dead in between sets and the crowd got nasty.
 #109168  by TI4-1009

Jon S. wrote:I was at a Lamb of God show the other night where the sound guy played some Dead in between sets and the crowd got nasty.
"The moral of this story,
The moral of this song,
Is simply that one should never be
where one does not belong."

-Bob Dylan
 #109180  by Jon S.

I trust you got that my post you responded to was a joke. But that being said, on a serious note, my world is big enough to encompass a very wide range of music. I categorically reject that it is impossible to appreciate both Dead and metal/thrash (liking both is harder; but I said appreciate). Lamb of God is not necessarily my cup of tea, either (John 5 would be a better example of modern hard rock I truly dig), but some of the put-downs I hear Deadheads make of their music are ironically coming from the same well as my hard rock friends' put-downs of Dark Star and Blues for Allah. (And I'm not just saying this because Lamb of God is from down the road in Richmond. :smile: ). And so I tell my teenagers, too.
 #109390  by TI4-1009

Who knew? I found a copy today at my local Price Chopper grocery store?! Great fold-out, excuse me- headed off to the men's room......
 #109394  by vwjodyme

Jon S. wrote:I trust you got that my post you responded to was a joke. But that being said, on a serious note, my world is big enough to encompass a very wide range of music. I categorically reject that it is impossible to appreciate both Dead and metal/thrash (liking both is harder; but I said appreciate). Lamb of God is not necessarily my cup of tea, either (John 5 would be a better example of modern hard rock I truly dig), but some of the put-downs I hear Deadheads make of their music are ironically coming from the same well as my hard rock friends' put-downs of Dark Star and Blues for Allah. (And I'm not just saying this because Lamb of God is from down the road in Richmond. :smile: ). And so I tell my teenagers, too.
I grew up on metal/thrash/hardcore and the beastie boys before i found marley, floyd, hendrix and eventually the dead in high school. a whole clan of kids in my town made the same transition...i think bad brains lead us into bob marley which sounds weird now :lol:
on tour in the 90's there was tons of different groups of people all from different music backgrounds all there for the dead...except maybe the gutter punks, most of them i met weren't there for the boys. but you could walk through the lot and hear slayer one minute then the same car would flip the tape and have dead on the other side. Then later on it started switching to Rap being the #2 music choice...which i never got into, well besides the beastie boys if they are rap.
I still listen to a huge range of music, and every now and again when my girl friend is out of the car i flip the sirius to the metal station...she can't stand it, claims it gives her a headache :lol:
 #109396  by Tennessee Jedi

I like a lot of diff music - Lamb of God not being one of them - but too each his own - the only thing I will say is I dont like to mix and match diff genres in my musical outlets.
My 1st band started as a Dead thing .... but then Alternative Music got big
We started throwing Alice N Chains and STP tunes in our sets.
BLASPHEMY I thought.
I would rather just play THIS or THAT but not both
I truly love that era of music but dont Mix N match dont mix and match !*
:smile:

* Feel free to do play how and what you want , though- its all good.
:D