#108989  by TI4-1009

Can anyone point me to a wiring diagram for one of the rectangular strat-style 5-way swithches? It has 8 lugs in a row, not easy to see which inputs link with which outputs. The switch is shorter than the regular rounded strat switch and is an easier fit in the cavity.
 #109175  by milobender

I don't know what model, or brand of switch you have... I use the S-Model Megaswitch from Stewmac, which is rectangular

1 Middle pup
2 Neck pup
3 Bridge pup
4 Output
5 Middle tone
6 Neck tone
7 Bridge tone
8 Output (usually jumpered to lug #4)

Brian
 #109177  by TI4-1009

Thanks for the help guys. I did find a lug layout by googling images for 5-way switches, and Guitarfetish was helpful sending the diagram they supply with the switch. I think it's like an Ibenez or "import" type of switch. I'd rather use the regular 5-way or the Megaswitch, but they are all 1 3/8" tall and won't fit in my cavity. I need to stay under 1 1/8". Anyone know of good quality "shorter" 5-ways? It looks like Schaller makes one, but their website is a little cryptic.
 #109194  by Mr.Burns

Schaller only sells through authorized dealers in the US, and some parts just aren't available here. I believe their website takes orders from outside the US only. When I discovered this I was heartbroken, Schaller makes only top-notch parts.
 #109200  by TI4-1009

Mr.Burns wrote:Schaller makes only top-notch parts.
I was just reading a customer review of some Schaller tuners over at StewMac. It started something like "If your guitar is ever involved in a thermonuclear war, you'll be glad to know your tuners will survive..."
 #109514  by TI4-1009

Thanks guys, got it figured out. Doing some googling for the peculiarities, then using the ohmmeter mapped it out. If you jumper across the middle two posts you can run the pickups into the first three and use the other three for going out to the tone pots.