When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #108813  by Johnnycable

Hey Now Everyone Cubensis-SoCals Grateful Dead Tribute has a Video entered in the Dead Covers Project, We Could use some National Exposure and would your vote/like on the Video check it out and if ya like it click it please
Thanks Here's the linkhttp://youtu.be/tBciFzasjAA
 #108847  by jeffm725

And thus goes the internet shenanigans that TigerStrat mentioned in the other thread. Guys first post here and it is "Like my band, we need National exposure."

Never mind the fact that (and Im just guessing here) that there are no less than 20 different videos from long time board members and on NO occasion have I seen anyone stumping for likes.(which I have been gladly doing without being asked, because all these guys are brothers in arms as far as IM concerned)...... And the kicker here is that Cubensis is a GREAT band!!! They dont need to be stumping this. I wonder how many more message boards got signed up for to ask for votes, if you obviously came here to create an account.
the other beautiful thing about this is that bands are going to other bands videos and clicking dislike across the board just to bring ratings down. You knew as soon as they announced this thing that it was going to be typical internet tomfoolery.

I noticed that before February first pretty much all the videos I watched tagged in this project had some likes but nobody had any dislikes. Then as soon as some videos got posted on dead.net the visible ones started getting hit with dislikes really quick. And then as soon as a video drops off and one takes it's place the new video starts getting tagged with dislikes and the other isnt touched anymore. So that is not people judging the merit of the video, that is haters being haters. it is OK not to like something because it's not your taste, tag away! But to dislike as a manner of competition is just so stupid.

The person who handles my bands facebook and twitter accounts put a post up a couple weeks ago stumping for this thing and I told him to stop. This shouldnt be a contest, it was supposed to be a fun way to get a bunch of different takes on material we all know and love. The other thing I hate is wading though 35 submissions from the same band. Tag one vid and be done with it.

Cubensis dude: sorry, this isnt really meant at you personally or your band :smile: , it just became my tirade platform
 #108867  by gdrfk1990

That was originally how I felt but once they started posting and made it clear likes on YouTube is what would determine the top ten etc I figured folks would be doing this and did the same thing myself btw cubensis is #1 right now probably because if this. Here is my bands video http://www.youtube.com/gratefuldead#p/f/245/-_KomU0gJrE

I always liked Suns Of The Dead way better than Cubensis I can't believe they took off and suns faded
 #108880  by myoung6923

jeffm725 wrote:And thus goes the internet shenanigans that TigerStrat mentioned in the other thread. Guys first post here and it is "Like my band, we need National exposure."

Never mind the fact that (and Im just guessing here) that there are no less than 20 different videos from long time board members and on NO occasion have I seen anyone stumping for likes.(which I have been gladly doing without being asked, because all these guys are brothers in arms as far as IM concerned)...... And the kicker here is that Cubensis is a GREAT band!!! They dont need to be stumping this. I wonder how many more message boards got signed up for to ask for votes, if you obviously came here to create an account.
the other beautiful thing about this is that bands are going to other bands videos and clicking dislike across the board just to bring ratings down. You knew as soon as they announced this thing that it was going to be typical internet tomfoolery.

I noticed that before February first pretty much all the videos I watched tagged in this project had some likes but nobody had any dislikes. Then as soon as some videos got posted on dead.net the visible ones started getting hit with dislikes really quick. And then as soon as a video drops off and one takes it's place the new video starts getting tagged with dislikes and the other isnt touched anymore. So that is not people judging the merit of the video, that is haters being haters. it is OK not to like something because it's not your taste, tag away! But to dislike as a manner of competition is just so stupid.

The person who handles my bands facebook and twitter accounts put a post up a couple weeks ago stumping for this thing and I told him to stop. This shouldnt be a contest, it was supposed to be a fun way to get a bunch of different takes on material we all know and love. The other thing I hate is wading though 35 submissions from the same band. Tag one vid and be done with it.

Cubensis dude: sorry, this isnt really meant at you personally or your band :smile: , it just became my tirade platform
I'm with you Jeff. I'm not going to stump to get our videos "liked". It just sort of goes against the grain of what it's all about - in my mind anyhow.
 #108885  by easytoslip

I was getting a single dislike on each Legion vid I posted, immediately after I posted it. I was all "what the hell?" probably an exboyfriend still in a rage, was my thought. Still, I didn't appreciate it and re-uploaded one of the vids then frickin clicked 'like' on my own vid and felt like I'd won. :lol:
 #108926  by gdrfk1990

How will you both feel if Cubensis wins ??? I would be pretty upset if I sat on my Laurels and watched Cubensis win and Have been in the past... Part of me agrees with you guys except if that's how the contest works and the leaders are doing it what else are you supposed to do ?? Shit am I talking about steroids ?? I do agree with you that it is lame that they signed up for this board just to stump I have not done that I am a member here for over a year and post all the time and know that other members here have videos in the contest too Stella Blues Band for one. I posted here and at the Philzone where I have belonged for a while and post all the time and see nothing wrong with that if that is how the contest works we should all be posting our vids here and liking each others that's what they are telling us to do "Check out the videos that are burning up the Dead Covers Project charts as "Top Rated." Help your favorites rise to the top of the heap by "Liking" them."
 #108929  by vwjodyme

what do you win if your band gets the most likes? is there enough of us on this board to push a long time member to victory? :thewave:
 #108930  by gdrfk1990

You get a feature article in the Grateful Dead Almanac and promotion on all grateful dead properties for the year of 2012 a big deal if you win They are actually having people embed the vids on Dead.net message board too so like my video and help a brother out
Ose
 #108931  by Tennessee Jedi

gdrfk1990 wrote:How will you both feel if Cubensis wins ??? I would be pretty upset if I sat on my Laurels and watched Cubensis win and Have been in the past... Part of me agrees with you guys except if that's how the contest works and the leaders are doing it what else are you supposed to do ?? Shit am I talking about steroids ?? I do agree with you that it is lame that they signed up for this board just to stump I have not done that I am a member here for over a year and post all the time and know that other members here have videos in the contest too Stella Blues Band for one. I posted here and at the Philzone where I have belonged for a while and post all the time and see nothing wrong with that if that is how the contest works we should all be posting our vids here and liking each others that's what they are telling us to do "Check out the videos that are burning up the Dead Covers Project charts as "Top Rated." Help your favorites rise to the top of the heap by "Liking" them."
Nate has posted here before ... Cubensis pretty good !
Its the Us vs. Them thing I think that is ' wrong ' - we are all winners !
I would rather they just pick a winner instead of counting ' likes ' ( which i hope is not how they are doing it )
I kinda thought they were looking for something different - not just cover bands .....
Good luck though !
.02$
 #108932  by gdrfk1990

Cubensis is pretty good I agree I saw them almost 20 years ago when they were ok there were 2 LA dead bands we al liked the sons but would go see cubensis too they are much better now. I thought they were going to pick winners too but it doesn't look that way if you can't beat em join em
 #108935  by crazyfingerssotm

Guess who was featured today? What a surprise!!

I too thought this was more about sharing the music and a call for lesser know folk to be appreciated. The idea that DCB's need national attention within a community that is a dwindling village more than a national market is kinda funny, and sad too. This contest mentality is rather ruining the spirit of the endeavor. Even after their feature in the almanac, the same thirty people are gonna show up to the gigs. Call me a cynic, and where is that new blogger dude, I wanna hear his vitriolic take on it.

There is a girl who sings an acoustic "Been All Around This World" that is awesome, for example. If this is gonna be a popularity contest, stuff like that won't be seen.
 #108938  by jkstraw

Tennessee Jedi wrote:Its the Us vs. Them thing I think that is ' wrong ' - we are all winners !
crazyfingerssotm wrote:If this is gonna be a popularity contest, stuff like that won't be seen.
I think we're digging too deep for the negative side of this. This contest is getting a load of awesome covers posted - I am having a blast checking out like-minded people of all ages, skills and influences. I agree we are all winners for having these videos posted and that Been All Around This World cover had a me grinnin' ear to ear :-)

I hope lots of members who might otherwise not do the youtube thing decide to so we can check them out :peas:
 #108950  by easytoslip

I know everyone wants to succeed, be successful, but it can't hurt to renegotiate your definition of that if you're uberstressed and the path you're taking isn't being fruitful :-)
 #108958  by jkstraw

easytoslip wrote:I know everyone wants to succeed, be successful, but it can't hurt to renegotiate your definition
Now that sounds like The good old Grateful Dead :peas:
 #108961  by easytoslip

well now that sounds like a compliment but you took it out of context and that is not the point I was making. It CAN hurt to renegotiate your definition of success, if you are happy with life and have attained many of your dreams!