#108896  by paulinnc

Hey fellas,

I was wondering where some of you might get laminate sheets such as purple heart and maple. What I am talking about are the laminates used for the layers in a wolf or tiger type of guitar.
 #108897  by hogan

certainly woods East Aurora NY. Google that name.
 #108898  by 1dallek1

I remember when stewmac had this stuff, boy the world has changed
thanks

why does the porridge bird lay its egg in the air?
Last edited by 1dallek1 on Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
 #108901  by rugger

1dallek1 wrote:usually you have to make these things yourself, buy glueing and clamping.
thanks
That was a misperception that I also had. Very thin laminates (1/32" or thereabouts) of purpleheart and other exotic woods can be purchased. I don't have a source for you, but I've seen them. Check around, I'm sure you will find some.

john in san diego
 #108905  by TI4-1009

1dallek1 wrote:, buy glueing and clamping.
"Spreak Engrish!"

-Firesign Theater
 #108907  by TI4-1009

hogan wrote:certainly woods East Aurora NY. Google that name.

Who knew?! I used to go to Boy Scout summer camp right near there!
 #108921  by 1dallek1

rugger wrote:
1dallek1 wrote:usually you have to make these things yourself, buy glueing and clamping.
thanks
That was a misperception that I also had. Very thin laminates (1/32" or thereabouts) of purpleheart and other exotic woods can be purchased. I don't have a source for you, but I've seen them. Check around, I'm sure you will find some.

john in san diego
My mistake , I was talking about making the stock for the neck. That’s great info thanks
 #108937  by hogan

hogan wrote:Certainly Woods East Aurora NY. Google that name.
 #108952  by paulinnc

Rusty the Scoob wrote:
paulinnc wrote:I should have been more specific, I am looking for 1/32" laminates or 1/16" laminates.
I think my dad bought them at Rockler when he made my bass.
Could you ask him which sizes he ordered?
 #108976  by softmachine72

the actual wolf laminates are two different sizes. I believe the purpleheart body layers are are .020 of an inch while the maple is .040. For the headstock laminates I use .020 for both. on the neck laminates the outside maple is .75" and the others are.25 to make a 2.25 neck through assembly. I can probably provide the finished pieces for pieces for you. you have to start with a wide piece 6 or 8 quarter, re-saw them thickness sand down to desired thickness. the sanding takes awhile, only a few thousandths at a time. If you are not in a terrible hurry i can probably provide the pieces you need. Wood craft sells the laminates that you can use for the head stock but the body stuff is too large.
 #108983  by paulinnc

I am not looking to make an exact replica of the wolf, I have a 1" Purple heart core and Flamed Maple for the top and back which is 1/4" so what I am looking for are some pieces to layer under the Flamed Maple to fill out the thickness of the body. So 1/8 or 1/16 pieces will probably do it.