Chat about Equipment Info
 #107949  by Deadhead85

So, I have a 96 Fender Strat (MIM), and every so often I'll need to bring it to the shop for a setup due to some odd buzzing. It sounds great when I get it back, but over the next few weeks, it literally falls back into having this really weird, odd buzz...and usually happens when it's just in the case! Anyway, the guitar has the same weirdness going on, and is unplayable. I've been adjusting the truss rod accordingly, with no results so far. The only thing that has happened, is the action is a little higher. I've found a graphite truss rod or "graphite stiffening rod" on All Parts. Would this take care of my problem once and for all? Ive got 2 other fenders and never have as much trouble with them as this particular strat! Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
 #107951  by mgbills

What are your humidity conditions like?

Most electrics are not nearly as fussy about humidity as a good solid wood acoustic, but I see changes in mine all the time. We suppliment with wood heat, and even though we put a kettle on the stove, I notice changes in my Strat's. I've also personally seen (what I believe) are huge differences in wood density in necks. Some change easily and almost instantaneously with a truss rod adjustment, others take 3 days to a week to really see the effects. Both types can cause over correction. My MIM really get's buzzy if the relief get's below 0.010". If you've had a re-fret, and your luthier didn't really absorb how the neck changes with truss rod adjustments, that can creat problems. Tangs too tight...tangs too loose. I have one that might get a Warmoth neck any day. Don't know why...I just screw up bending on the damn thing every single time.

Some more details might help narrow it down.

Peace
M
 #107952  by strumminsix

Don't know about those rods. Are they adjustable? if you can rule out humidity you should also consider your complete setup and action. Maybe your nut is low? Does the neck need a shim? are you the saddles low? Is your overall neck level from nut to last fret to saddles? Lots of investigating to do!

Sadly, some shops fix *symptoms* but not problems as they may not see the problem or want you to come back. They seem to like to say that guitars need quarterly tune-ups?!
 #107956  by mgbills

Indeed.

Thanks Strum for expanding. I really shouldn't comment at work. Freakin' employees & owners interrupting my hobby.

:-)
 #107958  by strumminsix

mgbills wrote:Indeed.

Thanks Strum for expanding. I really shouldn't comment at work. Freakin' employees & owners interrupting my hobby.

:-)
LOL and I was just continuing from yours!
 #108011  by drewfx

Graphite stiffening rods are rods that are placed on either side of the truss rod to stiffen the neck. They are often used on basses. If you wanted to install them, it would likely mean removing the fingerboard and routing channels for them. IOW, you'd be better off just getting a new neck.
 #108038  by Rusty the Scoob

drewfx wrote:Graphite stiffening rods are rods that are placed on either side of the truss rod to stiffen the neck. They are often used on basses. If you wanted to install them, it would likely mean removing the fingerboard and routing channels for them. IOW, you'd be better off just getting a new neck.
That's exactly what I was thinking.... I've never heard of an actual trussrod made of graphite but graphite stiffening rods are pretty common. I really like my Fender neck with the graphite rods, it's a fairly skinny neck but really stable. Same with my Warmoth neck with steel rods but it's a lot heavier.