Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#107411  by TI4-1009
 Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:49 pm
waldo041 wrote:Andrew at aoguitars makes them and comes highly recommended!

#107420  by mijknahs
 Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:54 pm
waldo041 wrote:Andrew at aoguitars makes them and comes highly recommended!

I'm using cables that Andrew made and love them. They are blue Canare cables that look like Jerry's blue Beldens from the 80's. Just much more flexible. Very good quality.
 #107465  by claytushaywood
 Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:33 pm
How much does ao guitars charge? You can buy canare gs-6 guitar cables in all sorts of colors with many choices of quality plugs including neutrik silent plugs on ebay for cheap. cables are probably the single best thing to make yourself. If that's not something you're into I can build cables, jerry OBEL cable, or an OBEL cable with send and return network box to go on your pedalboard- which is totally awesome compared to dealing with a y cable.
 #107480  by playingdead
 Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:00 pm
Andrew's are $70-80 depending on length, but they include a braided sleeve to keep the two cables together as one. You want that sleeve or you will have horrific tangles and eventually problems.

I haven't tried his cables, although I will next time I need one ... I am currently using Lava cables, they are made for the Walker guitars, similar concept ... TRS to two single 1/4s, and a regular 1/4 to 1/4 encased in a sleeve and color coded at the ends. About the same price as Andrew's.
 #107481  by erock
 Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:01 pm
postguitars wrote:Stewart Macdonald ( has a nice looking Y cable for about $40, has anyone tried that one?
I honestly got to say, I recently built myself a junction box, and it is 100 times easier that a Y cable.

One of the reasons, is in a pinch, it is easier to find a standard trs cable to replace a bad cable. I also wired the box so I can flip a switch, and it feeds to the amp instead of going the the ring of the effects cable. Thus, if I need or want to switch guitars, I only have to plug in one cable, it just simplfies it a lot, and minus painting the box, took about an hour, and really cost around $10 (I had the stuff laying around to make it)

Let's see if this works...Image
 #107482  by mijknahs
 Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:12 pm
Definitely use a double ended stereo cable and some kind of junction box.

I've made my own in the past but I'm using one now that Godfrey Daniels made called the Hubbub. I had him make it so it has a stomp switch that sends the signal to a tuner instead of the loop.
 #107487  by wolftigerrosebud
 Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:32 am
If you want to save some money, you could also buy however much you think you'll need of the GS-6 and Neutriks and solder them together yourself. Paid maybe $60 for a bag of 20 mixed Neutrik connectors and 25' of GS-6, and I'd never soldered before. Messed one cord up, the rest were easy as pie. Much cheaper, and none of them have failed on me yet.