#107228  by redeyedjim

Forgive me a small bit of nostalgia and self-indulgence, but tonight marks the 30th anniversary of my first GD show, 12/31/1981 (Archive.org link to good mix of the show).

12/31/81
Oakland Auditorium Arena - Oakland, CA

Set 1 (backing Joan Baez):
Me And Bobby McGee
Bye Bye Love
Lucifer's Eyes
Children Of The Eighties
Banks Of Ohio

Set 2:
Shakedown Street
Me And My Uncle
Mexicali Blues
Cold Rain And Snow
C.C. Rider
It Must Have Been The Roses
Beat It On Down The Line
Big Boss Man
New Minglewood Blues
Don't Ease Me In

Set 3:
Iko Iko (w/Ken Kesey intro)
Playin' In The Band
Terrapin Station
Playin' In The Band
Drums
The Other One
Not Fade Away
Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad
Morning Dew

Encore:
Dark Star
Bertha
Good Lovin'
Baby Blue

That night changed my life, unquestionably for the better :)

Peace, and a safe 2012 to all.

REJ
 #107234  by Billbbill

my first was 3/9/81 That is the SB - really good aud here.

Feel Like A Stranger, Althea-> CC Rider, Ramble On Rose-> El Paso, Deep Elem Blues, Beat It On Down The Line, Bird Song, Minglewood Blues China Cat Sunflower-> I Know You Rider-> Samson & Delilah, Ship of Fools, Estimated Prophet-> Uncle John's Band-> Drums-> The Other One-> Stella Blue-> Good Lovin', E: U.S. Blues
 #107236  by Dwarf Rat

Very cool.

35 years ago I was at the Cow Palace for the '76 NYE show. Santana did a burning set before the Dead came out. The CD of the Cow Palace show is a better experience for me.

My 24 year old son is at Furthur. I am at the Cubensis show in Long Beach. Closer to home.
 #107307  by mgbills

Yo! BillBill!!! Ya!

3-9-81 MSG! I was going to college Upstate. Room mate from Longg GIsland wakes me up on a Friday afternoon at around 1:00. Wasn't quite used to bars that close at 4:00 am :drink: and unlimited :D . He stuff's his finger in my mouth & says ...."Get the F^&% up Maawwwwty. We're gonna to see the Grateful Dead." It should be noted that at this time...I hated the Dead. Too country. Straight Zep & Floyd man. Then he tells me (upon questioning) that were f&%kin' hitchhiking. We both have cars. It's 60 some miles.

Then I wonder what this thing is in my mouth :shock: An hour later we're in a lime green bus heading' down Route 17.

Saw 5 shows. MSG > Bo. Grdn > Utica > Hartford.

Left with a $10 spot. Never personally held a ticket (RM taught me to become invisible). Never starved. Stayed in the GooneyGooGoo Land. Didn't even think about my car. Met awesome folks. Ate stir-fry vegeble-sanditches.

Came back with $8.00.

Got 4 F's & a B that semester. Not a moment of regret. My father did not understand....let's just say.

:-) 30 years. Love it every day.
 #107313  by ebick

Billbbill wrote:my first was 3/9/81 That is the SB - really good aud here.

Feel Like A Stranger, Althea-> CC Rider, Ramble On Rose-> El Paso, Deep Elem Blues, Beat It On Down The Line, Bird Song, Minglewood Blues China Cat Sunflower-> I Know You Rider-> Samson & Delilah, Ship of Fools, Estimated Prophet-> Uncle John's Band-> Drums-> The Other One-> Stella Blue-> Good Lovin', E: U.S. Blues
I wasn't at that one, but I was at the next night:
Set 1: Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo > Franklin's Tower > Me & My Uncle, It Must Have Been The Roses > Little Red Rooster, Don't Ease Me In, Lazy Lightning > Supplication, Brown Eyed Women > Looks Like Rain > Deal

Set 2: Scarlet Begonias > Fire On The Mountain > Lost Sailor > Saint Of Circumstance > Drums > The Wheel > China Doll > Truckin' > Sugar Magnolia, E: Satisfaction, Brokedown Palace

But I will be coming up on the 35th anniversary of my first show. :)

05/05/77 (Thu) Veterans Memorial Coliseum - New Haven, CT
Set 1: Promised Land, Sugaree, Mama Tried > El Paso, Tennessee Jed, Looks Like Rain, Deal, Lazy Lightning > Supplication, Peggy-O, Music Never Stopped
Set 2: Bertha, Estimated Prophet, Scarlet Begonias > Fire On The Mountain > Good Lovin', St. Stephen > Sugar Magnolia, E: Johnny B. Goode
 #107319  by hippieguy1954

My first Dead show was :
The Summer Jam at Watkins Glen was a 1973 rock festival which once received the Guinness Book of World Records entry for "Largest audience at a pop festival." An estimated 600,000 rock fans came to the Watkins Glen Grand Prix Raceway outside of Watkins Glen, New York on July 28, 1973, to see The Allman Brothers Band, The Band, and the Grateful Dead perform.
Was amazing! Life changing! :smile: :smile: :smile:
 #107327  by justahack

Ebick, while i'm new as a member here, I'm not new as a browser. I saw a while ago that 5-5-77 was your 1st show, and I was jealous. That may be my favorite show to listen to and that first set, including a gigantic Sugaree that gets overshadowed by others in the same month is as strong as any. Man, when they invent the time machine, certainly New Haven Coliseum on cinco de Mayo '77 would be a stop I would make!
 #107329  by Billbbill

mgbills wrote:Yo! BillBill!!! Ya!

3-9-81 MSG! I was going to college Upstate. Room mate from Longg GIsland wakes me up on a Friday afternoon at around 1:00. Wasn't quite used to bars that close at 4:00 am :drink: and unlimited :D . He stuff's his finger in my mouth & says ...."Get the F^&% up Maawwwwty. We're gonna to see the Grateful Dead." It should be noted that at this time...I hated the Dead. Too country. Straight Zep & Floyd man. Then he tells me (upon questioning) that were f&%kin' hitchhiking. We both have cars. It's 60 some miles.

Then I wonder what this thing is in my mouth :shock: An hour later we're in a lime green bus heading' down Route 17.

Saw 5 shows. MSG > Bo. Grdn > Utica > Hartford.

Left with a $10 spot. Never personally held a ticket (RM taught me to become invisible). Never starved. Stayed in the GooneyGooGoo Land. Didn't even think about my car. Met awesome folks. Ate stir-fry vegeble-sanditches.

Came back with $8.00.

Got 4 F's & a B that semester. Not a moment of regret. My father did not understand....let's just say.

:-) 30 years. Love it every day.
lol!! Great story! Reminds me of many great times! Was an awesome show too!
 #107330  by Billbbill

mkaufman wrote:I was at 5/5/77 too, as well as two Palladium shows plus Cornell from that tour!

mk
Pretty cool gramps! ;)
 #107331  by Billbbill

ebick wrote:
Billbbill wrote:my first was 3/9/81 That is the SB - really good aud here.

I wasn't at that one, but I was at the next night:
Set 1: Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo > Franklin's Tower > Me & My Uncle, It Must Have Been The Roses > Little Red Rooster, Don't Ease Me In, Lazy Lightning > Supplication, Brown Eyed Women > Looks Like Rain > Deal

Set 2: Scarlet Begonias > Fire On The Mountain > Lost Sailor > Saint Of Circumstance > Drums > The Wheel > China Doll > Truckin' > Sugar Magnolia, E: Satisfaction, Brokedown Palace
Missed that one - have it though - another real nice show! Off the top of my head love the scarlet>fire and Sug mags.