#106775  by Billbbill

Using my jonarob custom twin head with my 2x12 (ugh!) cab with 2 jbl m121's

Jonarobs head has two channels - one a fender 64 silverface and the other a mesa mk 4 I believe - gotta check on that. Either way it's got jasons (jonarobs) notion of mods (sorry, not sure what those are!)

Started using an A/B switch that also has an A & B setting thus mixes the 2 channels this gig - pretty sure that's what I have it set at here - A & B - got some more experimenting to do with this.

China>Rider from 12/10/11

http://www.archive.org/download/sbb2011 ... inaCat.mp3

http://www.archive.org/download/sbb2011 ... uRider.mp3

whole gig here- (this is our second gig recorded by someone other than us - that's pretty cool)

http://www.archive.org/details/sbb2011-12-10
 #106778  by Billbbill

mkaufman wrote:I suspect it's a '74 Silverface.

mk
Well here's a little back and forth from me and jason from a post back then - not a ton to go on
Billbbill wrote:
So thanks a bunch to you all who've chimed in here - it's much appreciated.

So I took a ride down to Brooklyn yesterday after work to see Jason and, well, lets put it this way - I played one setup and left with it!

Jason, feel free to give more detail than I'll be able to but here's the breakdown - as I understood it! And that's not to say Jason didn't go to great lengths to explain everything - it's just that an old sponge can only hold so much water.

So it's a fender twin reverb head, morphed from a twin '76 case, (maybe just the plate - I think jason has the cases custom made) with '64 twin blackface circuitry on the primary channel and a custom Mesa Boogie-ish tone on the secondary channel. Secondary has a tone bypass switch as well for a straight signal.

Single reverb for both channels and master volume slot modded to a separate vibrato circuit that serves both channels as well.

Cab w/ 2x12 JBL m-120 - 8's. I certainly did my back no service with this - hand truck here I come! But does it sound nice! Headroom I'll never visit. Crisp, clean and warm.

Jason please add (or correct!) as you see fit.

I didn't even plug into anything else! Played this for about 2 hrs though I think I knew in the 1st 5 minutes.

Thanks Jason!

Thanks so much Bill...

Bill picked up a custom modified Twin Reverb Head, #27. Each one has been different to some degree based on client needs, etc. They all stay true to form insomuch as I adhere to all the stuff we've learned over the years about Garcia and Weir's rig. We matched Bill up with a bangin' 2x12" hardwood cab loaded with early 80's JBL M-121-8's.

The only thing I can add is that Bill is an amazingly talented guitarist with an uncanny touch and feel for the Jerry stuff. It was so great to hear one of my creations pushed hard by someone who knows his shit. Had a great time hanging with him.

#28 is on the bench today getting molested.

J-
 #106786  by Billbbill

Yea I mispoke - I'll trust my post from back then more than my memory now! It's blackface 64 - it seems.
 #106789  by Tennessee Jedi

Beautiful tone and playing ! Inspired !
I guess the mesa channel is for JGB ? Jonnarob played some awesome JGB ...
Gotta add - Love the BOB guy - his tone and playing really compliment what your are playing
What a great guitar tandem
The crowd was clearly loving it too !
:smile:
 #106796  by Billbbill

Tx Tom - Yea, we had some nice stuff going on this gig. If you haven't already I'd say check out, among other tracks, the scarlet, mississippi and lovelight. tx again!
 #106797  by Billbbill

Yea - guess so - (mesa channel) at least late 70's anyway, right? Damn I'm clueless!!

Mike (mkaufman) HAS the goods! Love playing with him!
 #106798  by Pete B.

Bill,
I listened to those two links and it sounded like you solo'd right thru the entire Bobby part of the transition.
What happened to the Bobby guys part?
Pete B.
 #106800  by Billbbill

Pete B. wrote:Bill,
I listened to those two links and it sounded like you solo'd right thru the entire Bobby part of the transition.
What happened to the Bobby guys part?
Pete B.
Hey Pete - not sure what you're referencing - 6:40 there's the (sorry!) ba -dadada-da-da-da-dada deal - that what you're talking about? or the 'old' style. early seventies when bob actually TOOK a lead? If the former maybe it's just not that audible, but I'm guessing the latter - and I guess we aren't following that era so to speak. Though maybe we should!

Let me know if I'm even remotely 'warm' here! :)