#106429  by jmfranc

I just got my Fender Blues Jr. and can't believe I fiddled with a modeling amp for two years. As soon as I plugged it in I basically got the tone I was looking for. It was awesome. My Tiger "clone" has never sounded so Tigerish. What a waste of 2 years TRYING to get the sound and convincing myself it was my guitar. The Blues Jr. sounds so nice and will sound nicer when I do all my mods to it. Doing the billmaudio.com mods. Anyone regret doing any of his mods?
 #106430  by playingdead

Renounce, heretic!

Which modeler were you using? My rhythm guitarist just picked up one of the new Line 6 Spider Valve MKII 1X12 combos ... it's designed with preamp and power tubes (6L6) by Rheinold Bogner and Line 6 modeling effects. Seems pretty decent for the money.
 #106441  by strumminsix

Pros and cons to both...

I have many amps and have played with modelers. I use a modeler for every gig where I need to lug out my PA since I don't have room for an amp.

I love a small amp that you can open up on a room!

The BillM mods were created for older versions of the amp.

Which do you have?
 #106461  by strumminsix

jmfranc wrote:I have the cream board version from 2007. Should I avoid mods on newer models?
I think that one is okay. IT's the new Blue jr III that I think Bill M mods don't apply towards.
 #106508  by NWPines

I'm sorry to hear the GDEC 15 never worked out for you and it's great that you're liking the Blues Jr. I sold a US made Blues Jr that I loved about 6 years ago and I regret it to this day, great little amp.

I think it's important to have realistic expectations though. The GDEC 15 has a very low quality 8" speaker. It's never going to sound like a cranked Twin or even a Blues Jr with a stock 12". I don't think that's the fault of the modeling technology though. A lucious SMS pre through that same speaker probably wouldn't sound very good either.

But in my opinion, the GDEC does what it was designed to do very well. It's a fantastic little practice amp, particulary at low volumes or through headphones, and can cop a huge variety of sounds and has lots of great practice features.

At the very low volumes I'm forced to practice at most of the time, even a Blues Jr is way too much amp and just doesn't sound good played that quiet. That's where the GDEC excels. But I would never expect the GDEC 15 to be a great gigging amp or even a great rehearsal amp in a loud band for that matter.
 #106526  by jmfranc

I was trying to model a Fender Blackface and used the line out to a MC250 that powered a D120. Just wasn't cutting it and never got the sound I wanted.
 #106531  by vwjodyme

I love my gdec for my livingroom where i'm never allowed to play above speaking volume! i was thinking of a pro jr or another small tube amp, but for those volumes i think the gdec is the best. my music room has the power :cool:
 #106600  by JonnyBoy

I started to believe in my living room all these GDEC modeling things were possible with the output into another amp/cab for live tone, and I tried hard, but the modeling preamp requires more of a QSC K-12 FR speaker then a mac/cab to sound more like the BF amp at low volumes. Still, that wouldn't do either for me. Now I use it to practice. Thats it. The dream of a GDEC rig was squashed trying to play it at gigs and failing, albeit on a personal tonal level. The crowd didn't really notice or care. I am only happy with SMS/Mac/Cab for live tone.
It still nails tone out of its 10" (gdec 30) speaker and horn. Delays envelope filter, looper/tracks, distortions, modulations etc all built in, no need to get the pedals out to practice.
Blues jr is a great amp. I like the 6l6 tone a little more, but the Bjr is a killer
tube amp!!!!
I have fallen in love with the HRD III. I am thinking of selling my 65 RI twin all waldo modded for an even trade ($650). Too bad GC and the like wanna give $300 for it. They are insane. I would keep it for that!