#106504  by jeffm725

zambiland wrote:Ah, just get a Telecaster and have done with it!

Haha, you are NOT kidding Edwin, I just picked a beauty up a couple months ago and I'm never going back! I use it for Weir, and I use it playing originals, and I will probably use it for my next Legion of Jerry gig for Garcia stuff too, it just KILLS!!!

sorry, best picture of it I could find in a moments notice......
Oh and Edwin, you might actually know the drummer on the left, Bill Carbone? He is a Boston boy although might have headed there after you were gone. He plays(ed) with Miracle Orchestra and Buru Style and Dead Cat Bounce, and as of January 1st is Max Creek's new drummer.
Last edited by jeffm725 on Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #106506  by playingdead

Okay, no more Walker pictures in this thread.

But Scott Walker's working on his take on a Tele, too. Now that's an intriguing possibility!
 #106511  by jeffm725

playingdead wrote:Okay, no more Walker pictures in this thread.

But Scott Walker's working on his take on a Tele, too. Now that's an intriguing possibility!
Now THAT I want to see.......

this tele stuff is madness though, there are just too many.....for my first I got the classic Butterscotch with the Vintage Single coils, but now that i have that I want a Tele with 3 pickups and strat switching, I want a Tele with P90's and I want a Tele with a B-Bender. Santa....are you listening?
 #106521  by Jon S.

If I may be so bold, everyone should have at least one Tele no matter what else you've got. Myself, when I'm not playing Dead, I reach for my Tele - blues, country, rock, rockabilly - ain't nothing you can't play on a Tele. This here's my '52 RI. Taught myself everything on this one, soldering, shimming, replacing, flipping, etc. The gig's from this summer. (And yes, I DID put a Rosebud sticker on it. :lol: )

#106524  by zambiland

Hee hee! I didn't mean to start such a diversion, but it obviously struck home! I'm convinced that Jerry played a Tele on Ace.

I don't think I know Bill (the only Carbone I've played with is a Tim, any relation?) but it sounds like must be a great player if he's got those gigs!
 #106528  by Pete B.

We know there is a Tele on Box of Rain.
:cool:

I have a 72 Re-issue Thinline (natural). It is a nice axe. I think i will Jerr-i-fy it at some point. I pulled those big square silver pickups out of there and currently have a set of Tele Texas Specials in there.
I like the Thinline factor. I play alot around the house, unplugged, and the Thinline is louder but not too loud.
 #106533  by Capt Rosebuddy

There truly is something about the Tele..
here's mine:
I keep it in open G, it's Keef all the way.

Now about the replicas, I think that the "Bare Bones" MG is THE way to go. The price, well yea it's a big number, but them's the breaks in the high end guitar market, I mean a new '59 reissue LP can start around 8k! I think the 5.5 is a totally fair number for a absolutely killer instrument. I went the modded route a few years back, and while I'm still very happy playing my PRS, I still find myself looking at the replicas and wondering how to fit it into the budget.
 #106536  by playingdead

Two many strings, bro! Keef only used five!

"It takes five strings, three notes, two fingers, and one asshole," as Keith himself put it.
 #106537  by Capt Rosebuddy

playingdead wrote:
"It takes five strings, three notes, two fingers, and one asshole," as Keith himself put it.
I was wondering if anyone was gonna catch that. Nicely done. Congratulations on the store, your living my dream!
 #106547  by vwjodyme

Tiger a one trick pony? Have we forgotten.....

BTW, this has to be up for consideration for RUKIND video of the year :lol:
 #106561  by zambiland

vwjodyme wrote:Tiger a one trick pony? Have we forgotten.....

BTW, this has to be up for consideration for RUKIND video of the year :lol:
This is a hilarious video!

Furthers and Tributes aren't Tigers, though. The filter section alone makes it a lot more versatile. I'd love to get a further to put flats on and play jazz with it.
I think there are some similarities, in that Tigers and Alembics are dedicated to preserving the vibration of the strings, as well as active electronics, but I think Alembic went beyond.

I'm curious to know how many people here set up their Jerry guitars like Jerry did, high action with heavier strings and a fair amount of relief. The word from Kimock when he played Jerry's axe years ago, was that it was barely playable. I think a lot of his tone came from that setup.
 #106570  by playingdead

I had Brawer set my Resurrection up that way. It's not the most comfortable guitar to play -- my Walker feels a lot faster -- but it's not that bad. It makes a bit of a difference tonally, I'd say, but it's not a huge difference. Once you get to a certain level with woods and electronics, I think these things are just degrees of Jerryness ... and ultimately, no one has his exact touch or technique, so there's only so far you can get, even if you have Irsay's Tiger in your hands.
 #106573  by deepelem

playingdead wrote:I had Brawer set my Resurrection up that way. It's not the most comfortable guitar to play -- my Walker feels a lot faster -- but it's not that bad. It makes a bit of a difference tonally, I'd say, but it's not a huge difference. Once you get to a certain level with woods and electronics, I think these things are just degrees of Jerryness ... and ultimately, no one has his exact touch or technique, so there's only so far you can get, even if you have Irsay's Tiger in your hands.
Hi Vic ..... do you mind if I ask you a couple of quick questions .. going back to your pup choices in the Walker .. which is an amzing piece of work by the way :-) .. I started an earlier thread touching on exploring pickup choices to get different sounds out of a Tiger I am having made and you hit on pretty much what I was wanting to find out when you described the range of sounds you can get from the Walker. I don't have a problem with putting non Jerry pups in my Tiger as long as I can get Jerry tone somewhere in there. I am listening now to Roosevelt Stadium 73' and that is a tone I'd be happy to be with ... as well as the 80's JGB .. Can you get that from your middle pickup.
Also .. can you get a Dave Gilmour Comfortably Numb tone out of your combination .. I can see where the Gibson tones are coming from and I was considering a humbucker in the neck .. but you have one in the bridge as well.
Last quick question .. if I may .. :-) . Do you play the Walker through the E/K 120,s ... or do you find they are too clear and sharp to get that Gibson sleaze .. ( for want of a better word!) ... do you use other speakers like the classic Celestions as well.
The whole aim is NOT to have my Tiger as a one trick pony .. but to be able to cover a range of classic tones ..
Cheers ... Brian
 #106575  by jeffm725

playingdead wrote:... and ultimately, no one has his exact touch or technique, so there's only so far you can get, even if you have Irsay's Tiger in your hands.
The older I get and the longer I play the more I find that to be the case.

It is a fun chase, no doubt (and that is ultimately what brings us all together here, no?) but after everything, you really reach a point of diminishing returns and that point is different for everyone. We all love that tone, and it helps to understand how he got there, but even still it is different for everyone.
I see Edwin quoting Kimock above. You see people say Kimocks tone compared to Garcia's more than anyone's, and to take Edwin's quote one step further, Kimock states that not only did he personally sound like shit through Jerry's whole rig, (he had access to the whole thing for Other Ones rehearsals in 98) that he had to approach it 100 percent differently to get in that ballpark. Low output single coils, bolt on necks, different amp setups.
At what point do you tip your hat to jer's greatness and absorb the spirit but find your own voice? Even John K, who is filling Jerry's shoes so to speak, and can nail this stuff, modifies the equipment approach (An H+K Blues master into a QSC, come on that is NOT a Twin/Mac deal by any stretch, Carvin? Vantage? Steinberger?!!? No cocobolo in any of these!) to allow for his own vibe to come through, while still absolutely maintaining Jerry's musical spirit.

Like, I love your thoughts behind switching to the Walker, Vic, you've still got your Jer on tap, but you have a way bigger palette to work with for your own voice.

Here's the last thing. I love chasing the tone, I love what someone like Waldo has done for getting all this accurate info in our hands. He is incredible, and generous for sharing the fruits of some exhausting labor. But in the end (and this is just my opinion) it is a self-serving chase for all of us. It is because it means something to US as musicians and Deadheads.

I can tell you first hand (and I play a fair amount of gigs to a fair amount of people, a lot more than some, and a lot less than many). From a gigging and performance standpoint almost nobody gives a shit how close someone is to Jerry's tone or Bobby's tone, or Phil's.....WE care as Deadheads and musicians about "getting it right" but if you think the majority of the crowd at a DSO show or Zen Tricksters show or any other Dead band that draws cares at that level of detail, I think you are mistaken. That is NOT what is putting people in the room. A lot of us sit on the internet and critique how close this guy is to nailing it, or that guy is to missing it, and we comb over the minutiae. Guess what, those ARE NOT the people that are paying money to come out and see you play. The people who come out to see you play, come to do so to see good music played with passion and conviction. They come to dance, they come to hang with friends to have a good time. They come to be part of something. The come to hear alternative ways of playing music to what is out there today. They do NOT come to see who has the closest Super 2 split single-coil sound.

So in the end I guess I am talking about 2 different things, because I STILL love the chase of getting a sound in my head and translating it and making it happen through my rig. Most of the time that is Jerry or Bobby's sound in my head, because that is the music I love, and what I saw 100's of times, and listened to for years and years. But I used to tie in my ability of getting Jerry of Bobby's sound "just exactly perfect" depending on the band I was playing with at the time, which Ive never been able to do even close to any level of personal satisfaction, I used to tie it to what I thought would make my band(s) more successful. I have realized that it is really not tied together at ALL. My chase to sound like Jerry or Bobby is it's own thing, for my own personal satisfaction. However, it does not help me draw people to see me play on stage. What has helped me draw people on stage is the aforementioned playing with purpose, conviction, and energy and passion. I have found that both as a spectator from the audience side of the stage and as a performer from the band side of the stage that the passion, conviction, and energy comes though much better when using your own "voice" even when playing Dead covers.

Remember this is just my opinion. I am sure some will disagree. I just have been taking an informal poll of our crowds for the last few years and I would say about 1/100 are gearheads or even know the tone differences.