name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear
 #106515  by Jimaroe

Hello everyone:
A couple of months ago, I stumbled across RUkind and have been a daily visitor since. I am really enjoying the positive interaction, tabs, and especially the photos of everybody's guitars. My first experience with the Dead, occurred 23 years ago (as a 14 year old) I'll be 37 next month and not a day has gone by that I haven't listened to the boys play during the past 23 years. My first show was McNichols Arena in Denver, in Dec 92 as a 17 year old, and I was hooked!

A couple of years ago, In an effort to spend more time with my dad, I asked him to teach me to play (he's been playing guitar for 45 years) and over the past couple of years, he's opened me up to the guitar and I've turned him onto the Dead. I want to just genuinely thank everyone on this forum. You've all had a hand in bringing my pops and I closer. I hope at some point I can contribute in some fashion. I am not a professional musician (although I wish I possessed that talent and had picked up the guitar earlier). I am really enjoying the ride!

Almost forgot. About me: 37, own a small business, "play" a Gibson Les Paul Gold Top 60s reissue w p90s, and a Martin D16GTL (Another South Paw on the forum). I just ordered a Moriarty Wolf Relic with a build sometime next spring-summer with a fall completion.

Jimaroe
 #106517  by zambiland

Welcome! Great to see more folks from CO.

What a great story about you and your dad. It's wonderful to hear about experiences like that. I learned music first from my mom when I was 3 or 4 years old (recorder) and it just went on from there.

Where do you live? What's your business?

I play in Shakedown St. around CO, so let me know if you want to come down, I'd be happy to put you on the list and hang! Enjoying the ride is what it's all about.

Edwin
 #106519  by Jimaroe

Hey Edwin!
Of course I've heard of Shakedown St! You guys are a staple of Co dead! You play Mishawaka occasionally, right? I'm in Fort Collins / Loveland area just north of you! Do you guys post your show schedules? I caught Furthur in Broomfield each of the last couple of years but embarrassed to say I haven't seen you guys.. YET. Def on the "to do".

Jim
 #106552  by Good Times

Welcome from Denver :smile:
 #106555  by vwjodyme

Great story! Welcome :smile:

I am a few years younger than you and just picked up the guitar again about 5 yrs ago....i previously stopped playing at 15. man, do i wish this site was around back then to keep me motivated :hail:
 #106564  by zambiland

Jimaroe wrote:Hey Edwin!
Of course I've heard of Shakedown St! You guys are a staple of Co dead! You play Mishawaka occasionally, right? I'm in Fort Collins / Loveland area just north of you! Do you guys post your show schedules? I caught Furthur in Broomfield each of the last couple of years but embarrassed to say I haven't seen you guys.. YET. Def on the "to do".

Jim
We just played the Mish last Friday! Great place.

The band has changed a lot over the years, so it's not the original members any more. I've been with them for a little over 2 years now. I joined after leaving Great American Taxi to go to law school (1 more semester!) as the touring schedule was too grueling to manage with school.

If you go to http://www.shakedownstreetband.com/schedule.html, you can find our schedule.

BTW, the invitation for a guest list spot applies to everyone! I always love meeting people from this group. I figure if us Coloradans start getting together, we can convince Glenn to do an Expo in Denver!