#106433  by jmfranc

I have a Blues Jr and need a new speaker but one that's within range of the output of my amp. So, I need a 50 watt speaker that sounds similar to a JBl e120. Before I buy - is Tone Tubby Red the way to go? I have a Tiger clone and going for the late 80's Jerry tone. Downhill From Here sound.
 #106465  by zambiland

I wouldn't worry about matching the ratings. Your amp will have no trouble driving an E120 (or K or Weber or Eminence version or whatever). In fact, the speaker will last a lot longer and JBLs are noted for efficiency, so you'll get more out of your amp. The only way you don't want to go is to get a speaker that's rated lower than your amp. The reason those ratings exists is to determine how likely it is to blow up the speaker. If the speaker is rated lower than the amp, the answer is pretty likely, if it's rated higher, then the question becomes do you like the tone of that speaker? If yes, then choose that speaker.
 #106478  by FretfulDave

I am no expert on this stuff but the Blues Jr is a 15 watt tube amp. Not sure why a 50 watt speaker is needed there. Any 25 watter should do. It is the sound you want but I also thought if you got a speaker that was rated for too high a wattage relative to what your amp puts out, it won't drive efficiently and thus might not give the sound you would expect, i.e. using an e120 in a little studio type amp.

Dave