#106075  by Tony6Strings

I've been hearing a lot about these speakers. From what I understand, these would be perfect in my Pro Reverb for getting that ultra clean high end JG tone. But they don't make them anymore. Does JBL have any current products that are comparable to the D120s? Can you still find the originals? If so, how much do they usually cost?
 #106082  by jeffm725

Finding an original D120 that has not been reconed, or doesnt need reconing is very difficult (and expensive).

It is even harder these days because there does not exist a D120 recone kit from JBL and finding an original D kit is probably harder that finding a speaker itself. If a JBL D120 is reconed with the current JBL factory kit you now have a K120 for all intents and purposes (nothing wrong with that, but it's not a D)
 #106084  by vwjodyme

K's, D's, and E's all pop up on ebay every now and again...usually priced between $150 and $300 depending on quality.

Some pretty hefty discussion on here for substitutes: Weber cali's or neomags, Eminence Commonwealth's, and Liberty Beyma's have all been recomended.

Check out the loudspeakers section under equipment discussion
 #106094  by jeffm725

You are correct in that they all pop up on ebay, I have bought at least 15 speakers off ebay in the last 10 years, D's, K's and E's . That is where I learned about the item I posted above.
You really have to keep your eyes peeled and know what you are looking for, because if you see a great price on one of these speakers it is most likely because they have been reconed with an after market kit, or the speaker is not functioning well. Out of 15 speakers that I purcahsed I would say only 4 worked or sounded like they should right from purchase. It does not mean that they werent good speakers or didnt work at all, most worked great, but they did not sound like the Original Speaker would if it was in perfect condition.
Then I want round and round with different recone kits. Pretty much I have settled on 1 guy, but the kit and installation cost 300 bucks! But at least I know I am getting the speaker how it should be!
If you want a source of comparison take an E120 that needs reconing and send it here:
http://www.uplandloudspeaker.com/

300 bucks and he will recone it with a JBL OEM kit. I had a original JBL with original cone that was in mint shape, and the recone at upland was the closest thing to the original that I have heard personally.
 #106167  by mijknahs

Yes, if you get a JBL E120 reconed with a genuine JBL kit, you are getting the equivalent of a brand new speaker.

I wish there was a new speaker that was super light and sound EXACTLY like a JBL E120. I wish I could try out some of the new speakers without buying them (Commonwealth, Liberty, etc.). I'd know within 5 minutes if I liked them or not.
 #106179  by hippieguy1954

mijknahs wrote:Yes, if you get a JBL E120 reconed with a genuine JBL kit, you are getting the equivalent of a brand new speaker.

I wish there was a new speaker that was super light and sound EXACTLY like a JBL E120. I wish I could try out some of the new speakers without buying them (Commonwealth, Liberty, etc.). I'd know within 5 minutes if I liked them or not.
The liberty speakers are the exact specs (an exact clone) of the E120. They do sound exactly the same as the E120. I know because I have both and have AB'd them many times.