name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear
 #106069  by MichaelCarolina

Hello from North Carolina – I live in Cary, just outside of Raleigh. Discovered the Dead during freshman year in college in 85 – just before ITD. Always played guitar as a strummer, but started 2 years ago to play often and with a gang here in town. Our geezer band is The Throwbacks – Allman Brothers., Little Feat, Fleetwood Mac, and a few originals. We play bars/restaurants/benefits/pig pickings once or twice a month.

Been lurking for years, but took the equipment plunge after achieving liftoff while seeing Furthur twice this year - once in my hometown of Charleston, SC and here in Raleigh. I have received a lot of help from Brad and Waldo on many e-mail questions to get me started. Glenn at HT in Atlanta has been patient and interesting to get to know. And Andrew Olson at AO Guitars in Maine has spent hours on the phone to work out details for Jerryfication of a Stratocaster. Also I have enjoyed Seth’s GratefulGuitarLessons on Jerry melodic soloing out of chord shapes and other concepts.

I have some of the gear, but most of it is on order/in transit. The next part of the project is to decide on a racking/cabling situation so I will throw out some questions after getting the gear compiled. I have appreciated learning from this generous community and look forward to future involvement.
 #106077  by MichaelCarolina

Right on, Paul. Our band has a charity gig on Sunday in Durham, but taking a break for December-January.

Maybe you and I can get together and work up 3-4 Jerry songs acoustic duo style to take out to an open mic or two. I have a good setup with PA, etc. in my basement. PM me if you are interested.
 #106081  by strumminsix

Yo! Welcome aboard, dude!

I've had a few varieties of racked rigs and would be glad to help!

Also, be sure to use the search as we've had great disucssions, including rack stuff, over the years!

Nick
 #106105  by tcsned

Welcome aboard! I'm a little northwest of you in Blacksburg, VA.
 #106111  by MichaelCarolina

Thanks for the greetings.

Strummin - I have read about a lot of the details, especially the cabling advice from Playingdead and have been checking out the rack unit Modz made for Stu Allen which may be the blueprint for the situation I would like.

TCS and Big - Glad to know other folks who enjoy our part of the world.
 #106358  by tiffcheese

MichaelCarolina wrote: Maybe you and I can get together and work up 3-4 Jerry songs acoustic duo style to take out to an open mic or two. I have a good setup with PA, etc. in my basement. .
sounds fun
 #106373  by MichaelCarolina

I thought so, but have not connected with paulinnc. And you and I would have to meet somewhere halfway, which would still be a journey. Let me know if you ever head this way.
 #106374  by Tennessee Jedi

Hey man Welcome !
I was in NC this spring rock-hunting - what a great state !
mmmmmmmm - bar-b-q .....
some tourmaline
the bit of green is emerald
Cant wait to go back
- Tom Dude
 #106376  by MichaelCarolina

Thanks, Tom. There is a lot going on in the Carolinas from the beach to the mountains. Charlotte, Durham, Columbia - all Jerry country and with Warren Haynes still active in his hometown of Asheville. Cool music and good food.
 #106642  by amyjared

Welcome aboard!! I am in NC every other summer (and have met some folks from this board every once in awhile!) as my mum lives in Chapel Hill and I have buds in Cary and Durham as I went to high school in Chapel Hill back in the day. Always good to see NC representing! Maybe we can hook up and play next time I'm in town (probably be sometime this summer)?