Chat about Equipment Info
 #106017  by unnbrokenchain

I'm just curious to see if anyone uses a permanent volume boost in their rig. I came about using one ever since I found out about John K used one in his rig (not sure if he still does). I started off with the build-your-own kits, but the one I built didn't last long, so now I have a vintage MXR micro amp with I leave on all the time (knob set at noon) position that goes in front of my Sarno preamp.

I find that is adds a lot of richness in places where it is need. It is also very helpful for when you can't rely on any breakup in the amp or speaker section, it creates a nice warm crunch.
 #106018  by dleonard

That's what I will do a lot of times with my MXR Distortion. I will set it so it is barely on the edge of clipping. It's really great when combining it with the Tube Screamer. Playing just the strat through the Twin at times can sounds too clean, and that seemed like a logical quick remedy
 #106019  by unnbrokenchain

I am eventually going to buy a 90's american strat and am excited to hear what it will sound like with my rig. The one thing I don't like is the tone coloration. Even with my preamp bass set at 0, there is still some bass that seems to get leaked through, which is why I only set mine (MXR vintage microamp) at 12. It's just enough to get some clipping and distortion. If I need more, then I can just reset the gain on the preamp.
 #106022  by paulkogut

I learned the same trick from John Abercrombie (he uses a Boss EQ set flat with the output cranked).I've tried the Boss EQs and MXR Micro Amps , but these days I'm using Brad's Earth Drive with the output all the way up and a touch of drive. It's a great clean, full boost and it gives me the option of twiddling knobs for another flavor of overdrive, too.
 #106030  by jahozer

I have a boss line switcher and the one channel is set a hair higher. My distortions and modulation pedals go through the boosted signal. Sometimes I set my ts-9 silver without much dirt, but lately its been kinda crunchy. If I want just a clean boost for a solo like, say, GDTRFB, I just use the boost of the line. I also have a boss eq that I have set in a fsmiley face below the mid line with the level boosted a little for some colored clean(ish) boost.
 #106044  by gr8fullfred

Isn't that the whole purpose of the rig? To achieve a substantial boost to the volume of the guitar?

Most if not all of my guitar amps provide this function. I find especially useful to use the knob labeled "volume".

My twin = 85 watts of boost, Mesa 50 cal= 50 watts of boost,

To quote the words of Lynard Skinard, "Turn it up"!
 #106051  by dleonard

gr8fullfred wrote:Isn't that the whole purpose of the rig? To achieve a substantial boost to the volume of the guitar?

Most if not all of my guitar amps provide this function. I find especially useful to use the knob labeled "volume".

Many people use this, as was said, to achieve some mild breakup that you can't get with a Twin while playing in a bar and expecting anyone to be able to listen. Also useful to provide a boost for solos without having to deal with amp knobs mid song. As for guitar volume, I'm always on 9 or so bc I don't have the OBEL / on-board pre amp, so a boost somewhere is especially beneficial.
 #106066  by caspersvapors

gr8fullfred wrote:Isn't that the whole purpose of the rig? To achieve a substantial boost to the volume of the guitar?

quit being a literal larry
 #106071  by Griz

I play a variety of stuff, but I absolutely LOVE the Xotic EP Booster.
Just a touch of it make everything BIG.

Next guitar will have OBEL and Waldo's buffer, etc.

Griz