Chat about Equipment Info
 #81882  by strumminsix

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:A friend was told that these recent last days of Vinci branded strings were actually sourced by D'Addario, and weren't really Vinci's. All I want to know is who makes a string that has a alloy/plating on the wound strings that most closely resembles the Vinci formula.
Brad, I think you need to dig in another direction.

Washburn bought the machines. I actually saw them, kinda uninspiring, btw. You'll need to find the supplier. I'll see if I can dig anything up.
 #82183  by Emoto

strumminsix wrote:
SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:A friend was told that these recent last days of Vinci branded strings were actually sourced by D'Addario, and weren't really Vinci's. All I want to know is who makes a string that has a alloy/plating on the wound strings that most closely resembles the Vinci formula.
Brad, I think you need to dig in another direction.

Washburn bought the machines. I actually saw them, kinda uninspiring, btw. You'll need to find the supplier. I'll see if I can dig anything up.
A guy at Washburn told me that they since sold the machines. He thought they went to the Philippines, but he wasn't sure.
 #82187  by SarnoMusicSolutions

I thought it was Vinci who helped develop the modern winding machine, but that many other companies use the same winding machine. And really the more important factor to the Vinci sound has to do with the particular alloy and plating of the wound strings. I think that's very central the the "sound".

B
 #99846  by mijknahs

Vinci strings were supposed to have a higher iron content on the wrapped strings to produce a hotter output. I'm thinking any string that advertises a "more magnetic" winding for hotter output would be similar. Pure nickel "vintage" wrap would be just the opposite. Maybe something like these:

http://www.juststrings.com/dan-n-l.html

http://www.juststrings.com/dad-eps510.html

Jim
 #105476  by mijknahs

I'm down to my last couple dozen sets of VIncis so I started to try out some other stirngs (ordered from Just Strings).

So far I really like the D'Angelico "Hot Nickel Concept" 10-46 gauge and also the GHS "Progressive" 10-46 gauge. Both are very similar to the Vinci in sound and feel.

I absolutely hated the DR strings. Especially the Hi-Beams (I also tried the regualr ones). Their tension for 10-46 is all wrong. I think I'd want the 9-42 to have the same "feel" as normal 10-46 guage.
 #106006  by Manual Vibrato

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:I thought it was Vinci who helped develop the modern winding machine, but that many other companies use the same winding machine. And really the more important factor to the Vinci sound has to do with the particular alloy and plating of the wound strings. I think that's very central the the "sound".

B
That's what old Mr Vinci & others told me too. I'd speak with them a bit at NAMM shows in the 1980's & maybe early 90's. They said some of (or most of, I don't remember) the other string winding companies used machines that they made. I had a few dozen sets & have a couple left & some singles, plus a set or 2 of bass strings if anyone's interested. They sounded great to me back then.
Yes I think they went out of business, then a few years ago I saw the brand again, but it was just the name being used by another company & the strings were sourced differently. Cheers