Sell and buy at your own risk...
 #105873  by Operator552

I just snagged his one online... even though I have questions about it. Look closely at the picture.

http://www.vintageguitars.net/images/pr ... 968_el.jpg

active electronics, pearloid tuners, tri-sound switches, eq toggle, brass hardware,
Since it has a dark top and maple core I figure that makes it a 500...
but wait... 5 piece neck like a 300. And what is that 3rd gold speed knob? And it looks like the mini toggles are positioned differently than catalog pictures show...

WTF?

Waiting for shipment... haven't even laid eyes on it in person yet.
 #105877  by Operator552

Oops wait a minute... now I am thinking that the pic is too low rez to show the very skinny dark neck lams... so it would be a 9-piece after all. And even though it was sold as a 1978 (oh yeah, the year I saw my very first show, walls of the Swing Auditorium melting from two little purple barrels and the breath of a thousand Hell's Angels), it may be be a 79, if indeed that year saw the addition of the 6th knob.
 #105879  by jeffm725

If I remember my Ibanez differences correctly........that is a mid 79 to mid 80 MC500.
 #105880  by Dwarf Rat

I had one of those back in 1980. Gigantic frets made it painful to play. I could never bond with it and traded it off. I still love the look and wish I'd kept it. I could figure it out now.

Congratulations.
 #105885  by raisingfreen

It is either a 1979 or 1981 MC-550. Nice purchase.
The 550 had the three knobs (third being the master Volume/preamp volume). The 500 had two (no master volume).

Could be wrong of course as there were a few strange ones. The year should be stamped on the backside of the headstock though within the serial number.
 #105900  by raisingfreen

alcorelectric wrote:Thats a MC500 Between 79 and 80
I stand corrected. I spose the MC550 was a different kind of wood possibly for the body maybe? I did not know the MC500 had the same electronics. In any case its good to see these still around. I am still hunting for the 1982 version of the MC550 as that one is my favorite of all.
 #105904  by Operator552

Great information, thank you one and all. I've been looking at these for a long time and yesterday a friend called me in a rush, having spotted this one pop up out of nowhere. $750 including original (but shitty) case. A STEAL! Never mind that I have no idea how to pay for it (anyone want to buy any speakers? I have a lot... who needs a Tone Tubby?) I could see that it was a great deal so asked him to swoop. Done deal.

It'll ship to him first since there is a return policy and he's in a better position to do so if something is really wrong. He should have it by Saturday or Monday latest. After he's had his way with it he'll ship it along to me...

I am so pleased. I used to own an Artist 335 style from 78 or 79 (I forget which model; ebony board, super 80 pups, block inlays, spruce or birch top) that regrettably got away from me, the way guitars get away from you when you're too young. I always had an eye on these Musicians, even in the late 70s. Listening to Garcia made me crazy. Who the hell can afford an Alembic or other "tribute" style guitar? This is ideal, because I have not much interest in the super-premium figured maple tops and such. Besides, I don't need to masquerade as Jerry for Halloween... don't need a replica of any of his guitars... it's the basic concept that works for me.

I can't wait to get my hands on this sucker.

Here's what waits for it:
Vintage original 65 Deluxe Reverb (Red Tone Tubby)
Vibrolux Reverb
1958 Standel Custom (w/1948 Jensen, reconed in Hemp by John at Tone Tubby)
Supro Trojan
mystery custom 1-off 2x6L6 (1960s) with Black Tone Tubby
 #105923  by mkaufman

I have owned at least 50 vintage Ibanez guitars - still have a few but not nearly that many. I too owned a 2630 that I 'let get away'.

Great guitars- incredible back for the buck. Problem is: the collection can grow quickly and deciding which guitars to sell is difficult at best.

Good luck on your MC. Did you get the 'Jerrified' one that just sold on eBay? I spoke with the seller and almost purchased it, however, what would I do with a Jerry guitar?

:lol:

mk
 #105926  by Operator552

No... I saw the one on eBay, which sold for $2500. Ridiculous. Nope, we swooped on this one for $750. Mwaaa-ha-ha-ha-ha! Jerrified? I'm terrified. I'll let ya know when it's verified. Or when I'm very fried, listening to the wind, Mary Cried.
Far as I could tell, it's all original. Still don't have it in hand. Jerrified meaning what exactly... DiMarzio pups, unity gain buffer, Alembic preamps and all of that? I think I'll just listen to it, see if it sounds good.