#105673  by Deadhead85

I know Bobby used an Ibanez AD-230, but has anyone here ever tried an Ibanez AD-9? Does it compare to the AD-230 in any way? I have a BBE Two Timer right now for analog delay, but am kind of thinking about swapping it for an Ibanez or maybe an MXR Carbon Copy. Any input would be greatly appreciated! :wink:
 #105681  by mkaufman

Deadhead85 wrote:I know Bobby used an Ibanez AD-230, but has anyone here ever tried an Ibanez AD-9? Does it compare to the AD-230 in any way? I have a BBE Two Timer right now for analog delay, but am kind of thinking about swapping it for an Ibanez or maybe an MXR Carbon Copy. Any input would be greatly appreciated! :wink:
He used the flanger portion of the AD-230. The AD9 is a very nice delay, however, it doesn't have a flanger.

mk
 #105683  by caspersvapors

I just got a Maxon ad-999 cause Hello Music had a great deal on them ($200) Thing sounds fantastic. I was using an Aqua Puss MKII for a while which has very nice repeats but there is noticeable volume drop/treble roll off to your input signal.

Another very good delay to check out is the TC Electronic Flashback, which is not a pure analog delay but can do it pretty well and has a lot more features. check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ys5TX8laFI
 #105689  by Deadhead85

My mistake MK, I thought Bobby may have used the delay on that unit as well, what kind of delay (assuming an Ibanez) did he use? I do have my FL9 still, can't afford to get a different Ibanez flanger right now. I've been messing around with it, and have a setting that I'm kind of happy with...if I could only get it "exactly perfect". As for analog delays, I really like the tone that the AD80 gives, though I think I'm going to try an AD9. The BBE Two Timer I have now is really pretty decent sounding. It's a dual analog delay, modeled after the old Boss DM-2, with a max delay time of 330ms. I just think I'd be happier with an older style delay.... particularly Ibanez. I was wondering though, are the re-issued AD9's true bypass and are they known to suck tone at all? As far as crazier, longer delays go, I use a Boss DD-6...great space capabilites.
 #105704  by mkaufman

Around '74, I hear Bobby using a slight slap-back effect, maybe an Eventide delay? For his Ibanez era, I don't hear any delay. There may be some isolated examples of which I'm unaware, however, starting in '77, flanger was his primary effect with I guess, some compression a little later on and even some 'dirt'.

mk
 #105710  by tigerstrat

AD-80 guy, right here :cool:
 #105712  by strumminsix

I've had a few delays over the years but now only use a cmatmods DEEELAY.

Very good at being very present but not overwhelming. His keeps your dry signal analog, delay signal digital and the sumation is stellar.
 #105768  by Deadhead85

mkaufman wrote:Around '74, I hear Bobby using a slight slap-back effect, maybe an Eventide delay?
mk

That's primarily the only reason I use Analog Delay, very light slap back too. Sounds great using a semi hollow!
 #105799  by jeffm725

mkaufman wrote:Still looking to get a '74 Weir sound...

mk
Not sure what he is using these days, but years ago when I was around 'em, Rob Eaton was using a Vintage Fender Super Reverb with 4 10 inch JBL's and an ES-335. No effects to speak of. He nailed it as he nails most everything. Really the 74 Weir tone is all about just a nice Vintage Fender amp paired with a nice Vintage Gibson with Nice vintage Humbuckers... :hail: and you are good to go.
 #105801  by Tennessee Jedi

jeffm725 wrote:

mk
Not sure what he is using these days, but years ago when I was around 'em, Rob Eaton was using a Vintage Fender Super Reverb with 4 10 inch JBL's and an ES-335. No effects to speak of. He nailed it as he nails most everything. Really the 74 Weir tone is all about just a nice Vintage Fender amp paired with a nice Vintage Gibson with Nice vintage Humbuckers... :hail: and you are good to go.
I love the Grateful Dead Movie Bonus DVD - it captures Bob in all his glory ... I think thats '74 ?
 #105886  by jahozer

I have an Ashland analog delay that I got for 40 bucks. Sounds pretty good for that low-fi analog thing. and its, uh, 40 bucks
 #106113  by zambiland

jeffm725 wrote:

mk
He's still using that rig, at least at the gigs I've played with him over the last year. It might be different with DSO, but I know he loves it!