Chat about Equipment Info
 #105687  by alcorelectric

Looking for info and opinions on a Reverb options
Should one go pedal, rack unit or stand alone tank?
Plus or minuses of each?
Other than the Fender Reverb tank are there any others worth considering?
What pedals or RU would get close to a vintage reverb unit?
This is to compliment a 64 Showman
TIA
T
 #105706  by milobender

I use a Tube Works Real Tube Reverb rack unit... stereo or mono, I like it alot :smile:
 #105711  by tigerstrat

T-Rex Roommate is probably as good as it gets in a pedal. Scott Law is a user.
 #105723  by jeffm725

I'm a tank guy, but my tank recently dies in my amp and as a quickie replacement I picked up an EH Holy Grail Nano for 100 bucks, and it sounds FANTASTIC to my ears. So much so, that I am not replacing the tank. Dead simple. 1 toggle to switch between spring and hall (flerb is useless to me) and one level knob and it sounds great!
 #105730  by JonnyBoy

I tried out a few pedals and I found the Digitech Hardwire with 24 bit lexicon verbs was the best v's value. I also like the EH holy Grail too that Jeff has. You can find some awesome boutique pedals too, but for the money the hardwire did the most and boasts the lexicon reverbs much like the Boss but true bypass and much cheaper. It is a tough pedal and well built. I A/B'd to the Twin spring and the HW's pedals spring and its close plus much more tweakable and versatile with the tone options. If you use batteries it has a cool circuit that gives you full power even as the battery is low, or so they say. Lately I use the SMS verb which is a 24 bit hall and it sounds perfect to me and is easier than hooking up another pedal.

As for a rack system, pedal or tank situation that is up to you. If you have a rack space and like tube driven reverb, I would go with the tubeworks system. If you are looking to save money and space the pedals work just fine too especially if it is for playing live or practicing/jamming.
 #105733  by alcorelectric

Thanks for all the replys (keep them coming)
I looked into all the suggestions so far
I do appreciate the opinions
BTW has anyone any opinion of the EH Holy Grail or the Marshall Reflector?
thanks
T
 #105760  by jeffm725

JonnyBoy wrote:I tried out a few pedals and I found the Digitech Hardwire with 24 bit lexicon verbs was the best v's value. I also like the EH holy Grail too that Jeff has. You can find some awesome boutique pedals too, but for the money the hardwire did the most and boasts the lexicon reverbs much like the Boss but true bypass and much cheaper. It is a tough pedal and well built. I A/B'd to the Twin spring and the HW's pedals spring and its close plus much more tweakable and versatile with the tone options. If you use batteries it has a cool circuit that gives you full power even as the battery is low, or so they say. Lately I use the SMS verb which is a 24 bit hall and it sounds perfect to me and is easier than hooking up another pedal.

As for a rack system, pedal or tank situation that is up to you. If you have a rack space and like tube driven reverb, I would go with the tubeworks system. If you are looking to save money and space the pedals work just fine too especially if it is for playing live or practicing/jamming.
Johnny, I did agree on the hardwire, I liked the hardwires and I have the Hardwire delay/looper, and I loved the Lexicon reverb in the RV pedal, but I had 2 of them die on me within 6 months!!! and I mean fried......
 #105762  by rugger

I have the Holy Grail Nano also. I don't always need to use it, but when I do, to me, it sounds just like Fender amp reverb. Plus it's affordable and readily available. I guess the only negative of the Nano I can think of is that it does not take a battery--you need a power supply, which is included but sometimes an extra plug can be a hassle.

If you want to chase tone and have a few bucks to spend, here are a couple of popular choices:

http://www.strymon.net/products/bluesky/

http://www.neunabertechnology.com/gear/wet-reverb

I will say this, the more I spend on gear and the more stuff that I try, the more I realize it's all similar shades of grey. Often in a band context all the nuances of the "better" stuff go out the window. If anything, it's your playing that people notice, not your gear or sound (aside of course from us gear geeks).

John in San Diego
 #105763  by tcsned

The T-Rex is badass. All of thier boxes are top notch. I use the reverb on the SMS, it seems perfect without tweaking. I like it more than the verbs in the Lexicon MPX G2.
 #105791  by Grant

another vote here for the nano, cheap and they sound excellent
 #105850  by alcorelectric

Thanks for all the opinions,
I just purchased a Holy Grail yesterday
Based on the opinions here plus my own opinion of EH I am hoping this will do what I want.
I really was looking hard at the Peavey Valveverb , but they dont come up that often.
I was also looking at the Premier Reverb 90, but they seem to have some inherent problems with them.
Lastly the Biyang RV series seemed interesting (waldo said he liked his Biyang in a past post)
But, For some reason I didnt feel comfortable with it.
Anyways Thanks again for all the input.
BTW I am still jonesing for a Valveverb
T
 #105855  by strumminsix

I owned a Valveverb for years... Great unit!
Sold it 2 years back
 #105856  by alcorelectric

strumminsix wrote:I owned a Valveverb for years... Great unit!
Sold it 2 years back
That seems to be the prevailing opinion.
T