#104945  by brutusbuck45

Was just listening to Mystery Train from the '73 Keystone performances. Besides the Alligator Strat- with supposed stock pickups (sound hot), is this the standard Twin rig? Greatest tone ever- IMO!
 #104953  by SarnoMusicSolutions

Just two Twin Reverbs loaded with JBL D120's. One of my all time favorite Jerry tones for sure. Sweet and dirty and clear. I remember the first time I heard that stuff back in the '80s at a friend's party. He had the vinyl (albums). Ear candy to the astronomical extreme. It changed me.

B
 #104957  by dleonard

Agree that it is one of the all-time tones. Classic too. Just the strat into the twin, no? Must he have had his twin cranked to get this sort of tone?
 #104958  by brutusbuck45

Its that quintessential... dirt from clean tone that, honestly, I'm not sure that anyone since him has really ever sounded quite like that. Thanks for your thoughts on the subject. I keep going back to that '73 tone time and again. Never coming close to it, myself.
 #105028  by mijknahs

Was it still Alligator at that point? Not Wolf?
 #105037  by tigerstrat

mijknahs wrote:Was it still Alligator at that point? Not Wolf?
July 10 & 11, 1973, it's likely to be Alligator. Wolf's earliest known appearance is 9/5/73 Garcia & Saunders on the S.S. Bay Belle in New York Harbor
 #105039  by mijknahs

Cool. I've always thought it sounded more like a Strat but then found out that Wolf was introduced in 73 so I was unsure.