#104989  by claytushaywood

So... I'm debating on a speaker choice and a cab to go with it. I know everyone says the real deal JBL is the way to go and those are an option, i'm also interested in anything with a jerry sound- of any decade. keep in mind i do use fuzz and overdrive in one of my projects. weber's website says their california isnt good for ANY distortion. is that true at all?

I guess my main dilemma is that i'm not gonna be pushing 200 watts, let alone 300. Right now I have a 45 watt pro reverb amp, but i will be upgrading to a more powerful SS power amp, but i doubt i'll ever push over 150 watts. and i probably usually push about 30 watts (pro reverb on about 6-7--- dunno what that actually is) Dont you need to really push the e120 variations to make them sound good? would putting a 45 watt amp into 2 e120's not sound good? i was thinking about the commonwealths but those are rated at 225watts and i dont know if im gona be playing loud enough for them to sound good. weber is sold out of the neomags apparently which is what i would have already bought... what would you all recommend for me? >under 100 watts on average > uses fuzz and overdrive a good deal >i mostly like 2x12 but i do like some 1x12's as well (so 1 jbl e120 is an option if that is recommended) >dont care about weight >willing to try other brands takes on the JBL's >and not specifically looking for an E120, in fact a k120 actually sounds more appealing to my tonal tastes, i love me some slightly overdriven 72 and 74 jerry!

any and all opinions appreciated greatly and taken into consideration with high regard! thanks fellas! :hail:
 #104991  by PaulJay

Hey there, I use a Weber Cali with a paper dome in my Fender drri and it sounds fine with a Tube Screamer and a Boss sd-1. ,Paul
 #104998  by tigerstrat

claytushaywood wrote: Dont you need to really push the e120 variations to make them sound good? would putting a 45 watt amp into 2 e120's not sound good? i was thinking about the commonwealths but those are rated at 225watts and i dont know if im gona be playing loud enough for them to sound good.
Short answer, no. Not unless you are trying for that faint smidgen of speaker distortion that came along with 130dB SPL territory and tinnitus. Otherwise, you can get great tones with relatively low watts (say 25-50), just make sure your impedances match.

I did recently find that my '83 Fender Super Champ (18w/8ohm output) can't seem to get a good sound through an JBL E120 (brittle top end), but when I swapped an EVM-12L into the same 1x12 cab, it tamed the harshness and seemed very articulate, just bright enough, and pretty much just right
 #105001  by PaulJay

Not as bright as a E-120 with the alluminum dust cap. Stays very clean at higher volumes. It can get you into Jerry Territory.
 #105002  by wolftigerrosebud

I just started using a Commonwealth 12 with my JG SMS pre and Rocktron V300. It sounds great. Switched from an Emi RWB, and I never want to use a RWB again. The Common doesn't have to be pushed hard to sound good. It sounds really pleasant to me at low volumes and highs. It's just such a musical, enticing speaker. The aluminum dustcap doesn't make it sound harsh. It sounds clear, like it's singing. The mids and lows are appealing-sounding and surprisingly powerful. With some speakers, there's this kind of pressure on my ears that makes me want to not listen, even if the music's good. This speaker doesn't do that, and that's a huge plus for me, as I felt the RWB had that effect. Couldn't be happier with it.

Also, you don't need a 225w amp for it just because that's its rating. I use it with one channel of the V300 and I think that's like 75 watts @ 8 ohms. If I turn it up to 5 it's ear-splittingly loud, and if I ever need more than that, I can just run it bridged @ 8, thereby utilizing all 300 watts. Anyway, turning it up to performance volumes gives you a little something extra, but the speaker is still bomb at bedroom volumes. As good as any speaker will sound at low volumes, I think. Johnnyboy had one and liked it, that's what made me buy mine.
 #105046  by wolftigerrosebud

Only one. If you were going to do two, I'd recommend going with 2 1x12s -- them suckers are heavy. Unless you're young and go to the gym (read strong back), it's an iffy idea to put two of these in one cab. Four would just be insane.

Anyway, the one alone is really, really loud. 2x12 is something you might want for outdoor venues or big places where the sound dissipates.
 #105047  by KCJones

The Tone Tubby Alnico, for me, hands down the best speaker going. I personally never heard/used a sweeter sounding speaker for bell-like clean to super distorted playing.

Player I know use them:
Jimmy Herring, Steve Kimmock, Derik Trucks, Warren Haynes, Carlos Santana etc..

http://www.hempcone.com/tonetubby.com_n ... by_006.htm
 #105075  by claytushaywood

i am young... gym... haha why would i do that instead of playing guitar! i do rock climb, but i do have a bad back from snowboarding... im a cancer too... anyways, yeh i was thinking about that, but i do have to say that a 2x12 in an open back cab has a different sound than a 1x12 open back cab. something about it, i dunno. not saying its better
plus id like the stereo option, but yeh i do like the 2x12 spread and a cab maker online is offering a great deal on a vertical 13 ply birch 2x12 with a slant top- $170 unfinished though... the 1x12 is like $150 or something ridiculously close to make me want the 2

does anyone know anything about using wheels on a vertical cab? seems like it might be tippy toppy but i could even put em on the sides....maybe. yall done this? anybody got an idea of the effect on sound with a caster (wheels) cab?
 #105077  by claytushaywood

and my amp right now is a vintage fender and it wants to see 4ohms--- commonwealth only comes in 8ohms. grrrr... as i was just making a decision... one thing i also noticed about the commonwealth... on eminence website the specs all look real close to e120s (not quite as accurate as the beyma liberty) but yeh 109oz magnet!!! compared to the lil texas 4oz magnet just a couple below haha... 4" voice coil, 225w... but! the sensitivity is rated at 100db... i know there is variation on how to measure this. but from eminence website 100db is among the lowest sensitivites of their speakers. isnt an e120 supposed to have super high sensitivity and be super duper loud?
 #105078  by strumminsix

What magnet type do you like? Alnico like the JBL D120 and K120 or Ceramic like the E120?

If you need lower wattage, like Jerry's earlier tone, use distortion, like the cutting of the aluminum dustcap, and pairing with a Fender, I'd say JBL D120F.

I've got a pair of Weber's Neomags which are JBL D120F voiced speakers which I very much love. I'm a Bobby player but can cop Jerry tones with it.
 #105080  by tigerstrat

claytushaywood wrote:and my amp right now is a vintage fender and it wants to see 4ohms--- commonwealth only comes in 8ohms.
If it 's a 2x12 amp, then two 8 ohm loads in parallel make the 4 ohms your Pro wants to see.