#104738  by claytushaywood

I'm having trouble finding brass bridges! What do you all use in terms of brass? Especially looking for an option for a strat with a vintage trem at the moment. im gonna upgrade the trem block and "block" it with a piece of hardwood. think i should use the GFS brass trem block or a nice steel one from callaham? I'd really like to find a bridge that converts vintage trem to hardtail, but i dont know if that exists. what do you guys know?
 #104763  by Marlow

I'm as far from an expert as can be, but I think if you want to use a TOM-style bridge, you will need to shim or re-route the neck pocket to accommodate the 2-3 degrees of difference a TOM bridge creates. Alligator was re-routed, I seem to recall. The other way to do it is to route a recessed channel for the TOM and sink it into the body, like Warmoth does. Without an adjustment to the neck angle, installing a TOM style bridge would give you unplayably high action. You might already know this.
 #104805  by tcsned

gdrfk1990 wrote:I use this not sure about converting but it should work great on a strat and has brass saddles

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_ta ... ridge.html
I've got that bridge on two guitars - my current stage instrument a custom through-neck and my first project guitar a carved top tele. I love it - nice mass, solid, and stable. I recommend it highly.
 #104820  by WildEye

I'm working on "tigering" a strat and am still looking for a brass hardtail bridge that has more of a brass look (not plated in shiny metal (purely for cosmetic reasons)). I can't seem to find one (maybe theres a reason why???). Almost ready to pull the trigger on the Schaller.

I'm also considering a brass nut but my tech is "suggesting" that will make things too bright. I know Jerry had both but I'm looking to this board for people who have done this to a strat (with supper 2's/OBEl/Walds buffer) to chime in with their experience.

I love Jerry's tone and that's alot of what I play but want to keep this guitar versatile and the dude's warning has me spooked (can I still undo it by rolling back the tone?) or is that just apples and oranges? I don't want a "significant" change in tone - love the super 2 middle as is but as long as I'm having it overhauled and rewired by someone better at it than me....

Just looking for help in the place where people seem to get it.
 #104847  by WildEye

Thx Maggot for showing me the light - apparently I wasn't looking at it right...

Duh - they made my knobs and that's exactly the quality I want. I didn't see any strat bridges on the site but e-mailed them.
 #104848  by TI4-1009

+1 on Armadillo. He made my Tiger knobs. Great service.
 #104873  by claytushaywood

i'm finding brass to be a difficult option for my guitar. a MIM fender strat with vintage style trem bridge (6 screws). anyone have any options? I actually contacted hipshot and they supposedly can help me out (though its not listed on there website) my email correspondance with them has sounded promising and inexpensive. They offer individual saddles at only $5 per saddle. i was kinda hoping for a full brass bridge (bridge plate and saddles- and maybe even doing the brass trem block from GFS) would this be good or would i be better off trying the hipshot saddles with a steel plate and block from callaham?

anyone know of other options for my specific guitar? I did email armadillo just now, but most people dont offer the mexican spacing