#104485  by gr8fullfred

Yeah I never buy anything used either, except:

1972 Les Paul deluxe gold top
1964 Fender Blackface twin
Blackface Champ (picked up that one for $65)
Mesa Boogie 50 caliber Combo (this is what you are really looking for about $500)
Mesa Quad Preamp with 50/50 amp
Mesa 50 Caliber Head w/Mesa 2x12 with JBL K120s
Vantage VA 900 bought right here off this board

Whatever you do, DO NOT BUY ANYTHING USED, ESPECIALLY ON EBAY OR CL!
 #104487  by strumminsix

tiffcheese wrote:
strumminsix wrote:With a max of $450 that means $400 new plus tax. Not much for that price. Have you looked into the Roland cubes?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ ... 0000001000
Right on. A musician friend (not to be confused with Musician's Friend) recommended a Fender Cube, but haven't found one to check out online. Roland cube looks perfect for what I need. Honestly don't want to go into the $1000's right now but would like to get that LP hooked up. Been playing through an acoustic amp and don't like it obviously
Not sure what a Fender Cube is. hmmm, the Roland is nice!

The Blues Jr suggestion is really nice too! But with tax puts you a few bucks out of range. But well worht it IMO.

Regarding new vs used, it's a preference thing. I've bought plenty in both camps and at times when I've been too strapped for the inherent need to take a used amp to a tech for a good 1 over, I've bought new.
 #104500  by dancingrizz

gr8fullfred wrote:Yeah I never buy anything used either, except:

1972 Les Paul deluxe gold top
1964 Fender Blackface twin
Blackface Champ (picked up that one for $65)
Mesa Boogie 50 caliber Combo (this is what you are really looking for about $500)
Mesa Quad Preamp with 50/50 amp
Mesa 50 Caliber Head w/Mesa 2x12 with JBL K120s
Vantage VA 900 bought right here off this board

Whatever you do, DO NOT BUY ANYTHING USED, ESPECIALLY ON EBAY OR CL!

“Darling, It is much better to look good than to feel (sound) good.” -Billy Crystal
 #104508  by ugly rumor

For some reason I always loved the sound of a les paul through a vox amphttp://www.facebook.com/pages/Wandering ... 2986414303Ender
Aoxomoxoa

I never thought I would hear a Les Paul sound thin, until I heard Kim Simmons playing a flying V through a Marshall, and Dave Malachowski playing with him with a Les Paul through a vox. Hard to beat Kim Simmons for tone; the best I have ever heard, including anytghing jerry ever did.

I vote marshall.
 #104569  by caspersvapors

the Super Champ XD is an awesome amp. Its half modeling and half tube. Very nice fender clean tone (BF-ish), a whole range of different OD-distortion types - which sound good and are useable. And a bunch of effects as well.

For a small practice amp I dont really think this can be beat.

I dunno if you want something bigger though