Chat about Equipment Info
 #102916  by jdsmodulus

ugly rumor wrote:Do any of you guys from New england remember a band called "Timberwolf, from the mid '70s? i used to see them in the city around 1975, 76. First GD cover band I knew of, and very good, as I remember (although my focus was on the girls!). Wondereful times.
there is video of Timberwolf on youtube. We have posted it here before they were very good and had the sound!
 #104423  by PaintedMandolin

Amazing thread.

I moved to SF in '87 but did a lot of NYC shows and East Coast touring.
Happy to say I saw a lot of the Creek and was generally always blown away!

My virgin experience involved a bunch of homies from Northern NJ sometime (I think) around 1981.
We travelled to Macedonia Brook State Park in Kent, CT to spend a weekend camping out and partying.
When we arrived in Kent we stumbled upon a handmade poster announcing something called Camp Creek in Granby, CT.
So we split Kent and headed straight to Granby. When we arrived the band and crew were setting up a stage on the back 40
of what appeared to be a sheep ranch. Within minutes we were all provided with Green Dolphin blotter and under this lysergic
influence we chipped in and helped the band with the last few hours of stage set up, hanging the lights and setting up the background
tie dye and decorations. Then we got our minds blow with 2 days of amazing, incredible jamming Max Creek.

This wound up to be the very first ever Camp Creek and I think they have had more than 30 of them.
Definitely left a smoking crater in my mind and those of my pals.

Regarding Scott's Rig - I always remember seeing him with a JC 120 with a ton of flanger & Phaser.

It's pretty obvious where Scott's Languedoc comes from but as for his Ibanez:
Having searched long and hard for an Ibanez Musician of my own I wound up dloing a bit of research on
the history of the Ibanez Musician line. It seems Scott's MC350NT is extremely rare and difficult to find.
It's very rare to find that body shape with those pickups with Chrome Covers.

Regardless - it's the essence of the man and the band that makes Max Creek so damn fun and enjoyable.

Long Live Max Creek
(Grateful Ted of SF, CA)
 #104424  by PaintedMandolin

Also - Regarding Timber Wolf...

Q: Anybody know (or realize) who the keyboard player in Timber Wolf was?

A: Rob Barraco!

My first time seeing them was when I was 16 (with a fake ID) at a club in Nanuet, NY called the After Dark.
I also remember an amazing summer day around '78 or '79 at Great Adventure Amusement Park where they played in
an arena surrounded by a roller coaster.

Really fun band from way back in my past.
 #104425  by PaulJay

I used to see Timber Wolf at Tuey's in Stony Brook L.I.in the late 70's or early 80's.
They were top notch. the Volunteers who later became The Zen Tricksters were also great to see back then. it's great that Jeff and Bob made it to DSO, they both have long careers and still going. Thanks for the memories. ,Paul
 #104429  by jeffm725

PaintedMandolin wrote:Amazing thread.

This wound up to be the very first ever Camp Creek and I think they have had more than 30 of them.
Definitely left a smoking crater in my mind and those of my pals.

Regarding Scott's Rig - I always remember seeing him with a JC 120 with a ton of flanger & Phaser.

It's pretty obvious where Scott's Languedoc comes from but as for his Ibanez:
Having searched long and hard for an Ibanez Musician of my own I wound up dloing a bit of research on
the history of the Ibanez Musician line. It seems Scott's MC350NT is extremely rare and difficult to find.
It's very rare to find that body shape with those pickups with Chrome Covers.

Regardless - it's the essence of the man and the band that makes Max Creek so damn fun and enjoyable.

Long Live Max Creek
(Grateful Ted of SF, CA)
nice post....
I was at the first camp creek in Granby,(Im originally from Simsbury) it was actually just a big Keg party!!!

couple things:
JC120...yes absolutely, but that did not come on until the early 90's . The stuff Scott was talking about in this thread were his rigs from late 70's to very early 80's which was very unconventional......

Regarding the Ibby, yes, VERY rare....I think the official Ibanez build number is 72 units of the 82 mc350NT

glad to see the creek love, they deserve it!!

pic of me sitting in with them 3 weeks ago, it is scary how good they are, and another note is that their stage volume is unbelievably quiet. They are all pro's who LISTEN to each other and can turn on a dime in jams.

#104441  by Billbbill

Code: Select all
it is scary how good they are, and another note is that their stage volume is unbelievably quiet. They are all pro's who LISTEN to each other and can turn on a dime in jams.
Hey Jeff -
So what would you say has 'enabled' them to have such quiet volume on stage? Usually it's one thing that ends up getting everyone else to turn up to hear - I know different monitor setups can help, in ear etc. Drums not hitting too hard or being too busy - guitars not too loud :smile: etc.

Or is it just a general 'consciousness' of having it be a priority to keep it manageable?

Have a great gig Friday!

Bill
 #104443  by jeffm725

Billbbill wrote:
Code: Select all
it is scary how good they are, and another note is that their stage volume is unbelievably quiet. They are all pro's who LISTEN to each other and can turn on a dime in jams.
Hey Jeff -
So what would you say has 'enabled' them to have such quiet volume on stage? Usually it's one thing that ends up getting everyone else to turn up to hear - I know different monitor setups can help, in ear etc. Drums not hitting too hard or being too busy - guitars not too loud :smile: etc.

Or is it just a general 'consciousness' of having it be a priority to keep it manageable?

Have a great gig Friday!

Bill
Bill, excellent question............it's a combination of things, but mostly obviously a conscious philosophy on their part, born of 41 years!!! experience as a band. It starts with the drummers. You would think with 2 drummers it would be a loud stage, but they play with restraint (but not a lack of energy ...that is a big distinction). They also have some very good, long time sound crew who KNOW what the band wants and likes, and mixes accordingly.
Another huge part of that though is simply the players. Not to bow to these guys too much (yes, I get accused of wearing Max Creek kneepads from time to time :oops: ), but they are simply world class players. They are all about the "JAM" ...some songs are simply 4 minute structured vehicles to get to the 20 minute improv jam at the end, even though there are some wonderfully crafted songs there, you still get the feeling that it is the Open jams that they love for...and they are so in tune with each other, that they simply demand the need to hear every note and pulse of every other player on stage. They leave space for each other. ALL OF THEM, every single member. They all have such huge ears that they just bat stuff around in real time at each other and all of them can respond. The guitar will throw a lick out at the keys and get it right back, but twisted, or throw a rhythmic idea at the drums and have it batted right back and on and on.
It is scary sitting in with them, because you feel absolutely naked and laid right out there. There is nowhere in the mix to hide!!!