rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#104334  by Counterstriker
 Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:45 am
Has anybody been listening to the most recent tour, sounds like John is getting that 90's acoustic jerry tone, in the past I heard him mixing his normal tone, but now it seems he is playing it just by itself a little more.

http://www.archive.org/details/Further2 ... y-10-08-11

Check out the Althea some other concerts he does it too, At the Joint he did it in china, not a big fan of that sounds, I think those songs need thick super 2 sounds.

What do you guys think?
 #104339  by vwjodyme
 Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:28 pm
i don't recall seeing anything different and sounded good live (though i was in the back for most shows) :D . maybe the recording?

*edit* gotcha now, just althea and china from those shows. found some youtubes of althea and does sound weird.

epic second set by the way, full moon and planes flying right over the crowd at what always seemed like the perfect time
 #104450  by JustinJohn
 Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:56 pm
Counterstriker wrote:Maybe it's midi.. sounds pretty darn good and realistic if it is! I wish my gk-3 could track as well as his does!
Definitely not MIDI.

ps - does anyone know a website with a breakdown of John K's rig?

Thanks in advance!

=)
 #104476  by JustinJohn
 Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:40 pm
Counterstriker wrote:Got a reply from John K on facebook it is indeed his midi!

"GR55 acoustic COSM model on the GK3 hex pu... no piezo"

Sounds amazing for being midi!
Hholy crap... Awesome!! It does sound amazing.
 #106771  by JonnyBoy
 Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:57 pm
How about going straight to the board with a preamp? That seems to get the same thing much cheaper too. You can plug in a channel on the mixer and an A/B pedal to switch in and out.
 #106774  by mijknahs
 Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:47 pm
Counterstriker wrote: Check out the Althea some other concerts he does it too, At the Joint he did it in china, not a big fan of that sounds, I think those songs need thick super 2 sounds.

What do you guys think?
I agree that those songs should be Super IIs all the way.