rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

 #104082  by mijknahs
 Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:01 pm
Counterstriker wrote:Hey Jim, I have a On/On/On switch that I'm thinking of putting to use when I wire my carvin up this weekend, I'm low on cavity space so I can only have on 2 switches on the guitar (one Master tap for neck and middle only) and the FX loop. But can you wire 2 humbuckers up to one On/on/on switch so you can select the coils?
This might help. You should be able to get both coils and series humbucking:

http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/default/f ... srcoil.pdf
 #104086  by mijknahs
 Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:29 pm
Does anyone know if I can wire my DPDT(on/on) switch that I currently have wired for "series/split" to "parallel/split"?

I just want parallel and split coil (no series). I know I can do it with an on/on/on switch and get all three but I just want parallel and split with a two position switch.
 #104096  by drewfx
 Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:01 am
Counterstriker wrote:Hey Jim, I have a On/On/On switch that I'm thinking of putting to use when I wire my carvin up this weekend, I'm low on cavity space so I can only have on 2 switches on the guitar (one Master tap for neck and middle only) and the FX loop. But can you wire 2 humbuckers up to one On/on/on switch so you can select the coils?
You use an on/off/on to choose either coil or series HB for both PU's:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/pdfs/suppo ... wiring.pdf
 #104101  by hippieguy1954
 Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:27 pm
drewfx wrote:
Counterstriker wrote:Hey Jim, I have a On/On/On switch that I'm thinking of putting to use when I wire my carvin up this weekend, I'm low on cavity space so I can only have on 2 switches on the guitar (one Master tap for neck and middle only) and the FX loop. But can you wire 2 humbuckers up to one On/on/on switch so you can select the coils?
You use an on/off/on to choose either coil or series HB for both PU's:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/pdfs/suppo ... wiring.pdf
I'm not totally sure it matters in this application, but don't forget that the Super II wiring color code is different than Duncan. :smile: :smile: :smile:
 #104108  by waldo041
 Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:56 pm
mijknahs wrote:Does anyone know if I can wire my DPDT(on/on) switch that I currently have wired for "series/split" to "parallel/split"?

I just want parallel and split coil (no series). I know I can do it with an on/on/on switch and get all three but I just want parallel and split with a two position switch.
yes jim, just wire it exactly the same as you see the on/on/on switch where you get a three. with the on/on wired like the on/on/on gives you a parallel/series switch.
Counterstriker wrote:Hey Jim, I have a On/On/On switch that I'm thinking of putting to use when I wire my carvin up this weekend, I'm low on cavity space so I can only have on 2 switches on the guitar (one Master tap for neck and middle only) and the FX loop. But can you wire 2 humbuckers up to one On/on/on switch so you can select the coils?
no sir, each pickup will require it's own switch.

peace,
waldo
 #104109  by mijknahs
 Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:19 pm
waldo041 wrote:
mijknahs wrote:Does anyone know if I can wire my DPDT(on/on) switch that I currently have wired for "series/split" to "parallel/split"?

I just want parallel and split coil (no series). I know I can do it with an on/on/on switch and get all three but I just want parallel and split with a two position switch.
yes jim, just wire it exactly the same as you see the on/on/on switch where you get a three. with the on/on wired like the on/on/on gives you a parallel/series switch.

peace,
waldo
Thanks Mike but I was looking to see if I could get a "parallel/split" switch rather than a "parallel/series" switch. I mostly would use the pickup as a single coil but sometimes I need hum cancelling (espcially at venues with lights on dimmer switches) but I don't want the series sound. Parallel is closer to the single coil sound. Maybe the easiest way is to just use an on/on/on switch and wire it for series/split/parallel? I just thought it would be cool not to change the switch.

Jim
 #104110  by TI4-1009
 Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:33 pm
http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/default/f ... srcoil.pdf

So wiring this way gives you either coil individually, or "series" (normal??) humbucker? Series being as if you had no coil cuts at all?

Great information, thanks guys!
 #104342  by williamsaut
 Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:22 pm
mijknahs wrote:You could wire your coil cut switch so that it flips which coil is tapped. Then you can try the top upper coil or the bottom coil. I did that for a while since I never used the humbucker setting. I definitely like the upper (neck side) coil the best. Now I have the switch set to coil tap/humbucker again.

Jim
Yes, Mine has the coil taps for either or single coil only for middle and Bridge and Humbucker only in the neck ( with no tone control like a real strat ) and I think the upper ( closest to the neck ) side of the middle Super II sounds most like the tone I'm after although if I go for the upper Bridge and Lower Middle I can get a nice country tone out of it. The rhythm player in the country band I'm in uses a Tele and My Tiger copy can really hold it's ground in the twang dept using the bridge pickup ( super III ).

peace