Chat about Equipment Info
 #103718  by joeriz

I just bought 6 of the Telefunken 2mm picks because I'd always wanted to try the Adamas. I don't care for them at all. But then, I've almost always used heavy (1mm) picks, not extra heavy (and then some). I totally see what Brad was saying above except that I doubt that I could get into the zone with these picks in 20 min. Just a personal preference thing.

I bought them from 'vintagetones' on Ebay. They were $18 with shipping. I'll gladly drop them in the mail to anyone who wants them for $10. PM me if interested.

Joe
 #103725  by TI4-1009

I would say that just about everyone who's tried them didn't take to them right away. They are definitely an acquired taste.
 #103736  by joeriz

TI4-1009 wrote:I would say that just about everyone who's tried them didn't take to them right away. They are definitely an acquired taste.
Yeah, I just don't feel like putting in the work. :-) It's not an area I feel like expending a whole lot of effort, particularly since I'm happy with what I use now. I'm going to give the 1mm version a shot and see if that's more to my liking. If not, ah well...I tried.

Joe
 #103741  by joeriz

Waldo/Mike,

I did get your PM but I don't seem to be able to respond. Messages just sit in my "outbox".

Of course, that makes it a little hard to contact an administrator to find a solution...

Joe

[EDIT: Nevermind....user error. :oops: ]
Last edited by joeriz on Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #103750  by rkubik

I to have not been very fond of the Telefunken. Like Brad said you really have to hit the sweet spot with it or you sound awful and it does take awhile to get used to. I also have found some of them to be slick and hard for me to control so I have resorted to scoring the outside with a knife to add some type of grip to it. I also noticed that when I play my Les Paul it has a static sound to it and just sounds terrible doesn't happen when I play my Jerrycaster so who knows. I need to try some different 2mm as I like the size but the Telefunken tests my patience too much
 #103760  by SarnoMusicSolutions

Just for clarity, my comments were regarding the Adamas picks and also assuming that the Telefunkens are going to be the identical experience. It's a different pick experience for those who haven't used them before. But it's the only way to go if you want to get the Garcia tone. It's vital in my opinion. Just because they're challenging, it doesn't mean I don't love them and use them and always have a couple in my pocket. It's just that they make you work for it and they remind you yet again how amazing Jerry was.

Brad
 #103765  by Rusty the Scoob

Come on, challenge yourselves! I learned how to play bass with a pick instead of my fingers and switched from 5 strings back to 4 to get the music to sound right... the least you guys can do is learn to play with a different pick! :twisted:
 #103770  by joeriz

Well...a couple of things I'd like to say:

When we're talking about getting the 'Garcia tone' it depends on several factors, including (but not limited to): how you play, the rest of your setup, how much you are truly trying to sound 'just like Jerry', and which 'Garcia tone' you may be going for. (He didn't play with the Adamas picks for his entire career, after all.) Getting it 'just right' is also in the ear of the beholder. I've heard lots of people claim to get the Garcia sound that just don't have it IMO (or at least not as fully as they might have you believe).

Also, in the end, it's just a pick, I have a family and a day job, and diminishing returns set in for all of us at different places...this particular 'challenge' just might not be "worth it" to me. In this case I feel that it's truly to each his or her own. 8)

Joe
 #103831  by guitarcats

I just got my NOS Adamas picks and boy am I mad! :mad: I emailed the seller and told him that I sound nothing like Jerry or Trey and I DEMAND my money back!

Just kidding, these are some sweet ass picks. I really like the way they feel and how much crisper the notes sound to me. Before that I was using the V pick and meh.....didnt really do it for me and they cost big bucks.
 #103937  by aiq

I really like the Adamas and I'm not going for a Jerry tone per se. They help to get a very clear tone which I liked to get a clearer sound out of the Gibsons.

I also have the Telefunken 2 and 3 mm which I alternate with the Adamas. I actually like the hand feel of the T 3mm best but it is slightly darker than the Adamas.
 #103970  by mijknahs

hippieguy1954 wrote:
hippieguy1954 wrote:Does anyone know when Jerry first started using them? :smile: :smile: :smile:
Well? Does anyone know or not? :smile: :smile: :smile:
I've never heard the exact answer. My guess would be sometime between '78 and '81. He definitely is using the Fender Extra heavy in a close up from '78 and it looks like the Adamas in the Germany '81 video. He definitely says he uses the Adamas in the '85 Frets interview.
 #104001  by claytushaywood

guitarcats wrote:I just got my NOS Adamas picks and boy am I mad! :mad: I emailed the seller and told him that I sound nothing like Jerry or Trey and I DEMAND my money back!

Just kidding, these are some sweet ass picks. I really like the way they feel and how much crisper the notes sound to me. Before that I was using the V pick and meh.....didnt really do it for me and they cost big bucks.
did you get the ones off ebay that dude was selling for like $10 a piece?
 #104003  by hippieguy1954

Hey, mijknahs, Thanks for the great info. Glad you saw those photos! That clears that up. I was thinkin about the '85 interview, but thought he might have been trying them out before that. Very cool!
:smile: :smile: :smile: