name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear
 #103241  by foolofships

Hello from Portland, OR!

I finally decided to quit lurking and get on board for reals here. I enjoy the comraderie, and the exchange of information that doesn't seem to show up anywhere else.

I've been playing guitar for about 20 years now, and pedal steel guitar for going on five. My first Grateful Dead album was "Skeletons From the Closet," which I bought in 1998 because it had all three GD songs I knew on it: "Truckin'," "Casey Jones," and "Uncle John's Band." I gave "Live/Dead" a try in 2000, and it blew my mind so hard I had to listen to "Dark Star" every single morning for a year!

As I discovered more about the band and the music, I found a couple little tidbits that struck me as such obvious and wonderful necessities that I had to try them for myself: the OBEL and UGB. Of course, after I did it, I came across this site and found out how I should have done it.

These days, I'm working on starting my law practice, taking care of my 2-year-old, and playing guitar and PSG in a local group.
 #103245  by Pete B.

Cool.
I'm in Portland and also play Pedal Steel.
We should get together.
Give a ring anytime.
Pete B.
503-621-8209

What band are you in?
 #103250  by Rusty the Scoob

foolofships wrote: My first Grateful Dead album was "Skeletons From the Closet," which I bought in 1998 because it had all three GD songs I knew on it: "Truckin'," "Casey Jones," and "Uncle John's Band." I gave "Live/Dead" a try in 2000, and it blew my mind so hard I had to listen to "Dark Star" every single morning for a year!
Mine too! Found Skeletons on CD at a garage sale in 1992 or so and picked it up just to see what it was about, and ended up buying Live/Dead, Axomoxoa, a few others within a month or two. Never thought a random $2 or $3 purchase would change my entire life. :lol:
 #103343  by foolofships

Hey, Pete, I'm in Camping In a Cadillac. Our next show is on Oct. 11 at the Alberta Street Pub. Thanks for the phone number; I'll use it in the near future!