rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#97989  by nsandi9
 Mon May 09, 2011 10:58 pm
Hey everyone, our band The Eleven, San Francisco CA is in need of a great high-watt power amp for our bass player.
Anyone have something for sale?
 #98857  by zambiland
 Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:13 pm
nsandi9 wrote:Hey everyone, our band The Eleven, San Francisco CA is in need of a great high-watt power amp for our bass player.
Anyone have something for sale?

I don't right now, but I highly recommend looking for a used Crest CA9. I got sick of the weight, but as far as bass tone goes, it's in a class by itself and can often be found in the $500 range, which is a steal for what it does.
 #102551  by ugly rumor
 Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:30 am
I highly recommend Thunderfunk amps for bass. Incredible tone, pre-amp is great, and quality is unmatched. Check out their website. They also trade in and sell used units.
 #102594  by zambiland
 Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:19 pm
Rusty the Scoob wrote:Trigger = pulled. :cool: When I got Sean's GT preamp I knew I couldn't resist putting it to use for long. :lol: My tiny Genz-Benz sounds great but just doesn't have enough power.
What did you get? Was that east coast earthquake you?
 #102596  by Rusty the Scoob
 Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:54 am
I hate gear shopping so I just went with your recommendation of a Crest CA9. Sean's old GT Electronics preamp (really an SWR design/build) will feed it for now until I get the funds for an SMS. :cool: The earthquake wasn't me, yet, it's still on the UPS truck.
 #103210  by Rusty the Scoob
 Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:56 am
Got it, tried it last night. Takes some dialing in and there's some question about whether it's properly in bridge mode or not, but Talkbass is pretty helpful and I think I'm figuring it out. Sounds amazing - not so much loud as it is clear, punchy and present. And Heavy! :lol:

#103218  by Rusty the Scoob
 Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:03 am
Here's the recording of the new rig's debut gig. You can tell the difference between the 3 basses that I played that night pretty clearly, I think.

http://www.archive.org/details/Fen2011- ... rcester.MA
 #103227  by Rusty the Scoob
 Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:42 am
It's a little mini line mixer, just to blend my various basses with different outputs into one signal before the preamp.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audi ... line-mixer

Later, when I get my SMS (someday), it'll blend my various preamps into the power amp instead. :cool: