#103192  by Cmnaround

What advantage does anyone see swapping the Carvin standard double hunbuckers with dimarzios - more specifically is it a really big difference with the super II vs carvin standard pick ups? I should take a look back in archive to see what has been posted - curious to any other current opinions out there.

Seems like an easy swap, but can I keep the current carvin wiring set up with coil splitting and active EQ - or is it just best to get the whole thing Jerry modded w super IIs, the OBEL and buffer, since there is already a 9V in there now?

Advice from your experiences much appreciated -

Thanks!
 #103236  by foolofships

The Carvin pickups will have Alnico magnets. These provide a warmer tone than the ceramic magnets in the DiMarzios. I was just comparing pickups the other day, so the numbers are kind of fresh in my mind :D . The Carvin C22s have a comparable output impedance to the DiMarzios, and are thus probably about as hot. If that's what your "stock" Carvins are, the main audio difference you might notice with the DiMarzios is that the DiMarzios will have a more "biting" tone.
 #103246  by Pete B.

I can't remember the specific issue, but I think putting a diMarzio in a Carvin requieres some routing of the pickup cavity.
I can't remember if it is for pickups that mount directly to wood, or are in a pickup-ring, or maybe back-loaded???
I recall one guy took a dremmel tool to the pickup itself to get it to fit.
You might cruise the Carvin Forum (or just call them) or Google search Groups for more info.