#102995  by hard truckers co

A brief review of the all-new Hard Truckers/Louis Electric 'Captain Trips' amp by Tom San Filippo of Half Step. Thought it might be an interesting read. Enjoy! Peace Glenn

I recently had the privilege of playing through the brand new Louis Electric "Captain Trips" amplifier for Half Step's performance at the 1st Annual Dead Gear Expo.

I have to honestly say that using this amp in conjunction with a Hard Truckers JG-1 2x12 speaker cabinet was the most rewarding and satisfying amp setup that I have experienced in a very long time.

Simply put, "Captain Trips" delivers the punch, roundness and clarity of Garcia's sound with great authenticity. Even at a low volume, this unique tone can be achieved. However, I couldn't help but be LOUD AND CLEAR because there is some pretty serious power to this amp. And connecting a Hard Trucker JG-1 2x12 cabinet to it is an undeniable match made in heaven.

One of the major benefits of the "Captain Trips" is the easy bypass of the amp's power tubes. A flip of a switch enables you to easily hook up an external power amp. We added a Mcintosh MC2300 to the mix and it gave us a clear comparison between Trips ultra clean power compared to the legendary Mcintosh. I have to say that pound for pound the "Captain Trips" held it's own to the mac, but there was a bit more noticeable mojo with the power amp. It's great to know that you can easily have the best of both worlds without modification.

Overall I felt the vibe of this rig put me right inside the music and in the end made me play better... and that is key. Being in the position of paying homage to Garcia's sound with Half Step, I feel this setup sent me and the band over the top.

To all those cats out there who are serious about doing the music justice, the "Captain Trips" amp from Louis Electric gets right to the heart of the Jerry tone. The rest is up to your fingers.

Tom San Filippo
Lead Guitarist of "Half Step - Playing the Music of the Grateful Dead"
 #103052  by hard truckers co

Well... Here is some interesting thoughts behind the name that I can share...Although Captain Trips was not our first choice we do really love it.

The official line of amps from the Hard Truckers and Louis Electric is called "Head of the Dead", the first model in this new line is Captain Trips. Our plans call for other models to be released in the near future including; Ace, and a yet untitled bass head. I'm sure you can see where we are going with this.

Big Steve Parish came up with the name Captain Trips. I specifically asked him if Jerry hated that name as legend went, he said "no that is not true" and "he didn't mind the name". Steve's first choice for a name was "Blackjack" as that was Garcia's inner circle nickname, but there is amp out there already called that. Captain Trips was the second name that Big Steve liked so we went with it. The name Captain Trips actually says it all. Steve thought calling it the "Dead Head" was too easy and hoaky. As with anything the Hard Truckers do, when Big Steve talks we listen.

The Captain Trips amp is just that good that we are not worried about being pigeonholed. It not only nails the Garcia tone but is perfect for any clean application. We expect for other prominent artists over time to play the Captain. It is truly a professional amp, Ferrari if you will.

As always thanks for your support, please get in touch if you have any questions.
 #103053  by strumminsix

hard truckers co wrote:Well... Here is some interesting thoughts behind the name that I can share...Although Captain Trips was not our first choice we do really love it.

The official line of amps from the Hard Truckers and Louis Electric is called "Head of the Dead", the first model in this new line is Captain Trips. Our plans call for other models to be released in the near future including; Ace, and a yet untitled bass head. I'm sure you can see where we are going with this.

Big Steve Parish came up with the name Captain Trips. I specifically asked him if Jerry hated that name as legend went, he said "no that is not true" and "he didn't mind the name". Steve's first choice for a name was "Blackjack" as that was Garcia's inner circle nickname, but there is amp out there already called that. Captain Trips was the second name that Big Steve liked so we went with it. The name Captain Trips actually says it all. Steve thought calling it the "Dead Head" was too easy and hoaky. As with anything the Hard Truckers do, when Big Steve talks we listen.

The Captain Trips amp is just that good that we are not worried about being pigeonholed. It not only nails the Garcia tone but is perfect for any clean application. We expect for other prominent artists over time to play the Captain. It is truly a professional amp, Ferrari if you will.

As always thanks for your support, please get in touch if you have any questions.
That is so awesome, Glenn! Thanks for all of that! I can't wait to hear more about the ACE AMP! If you ever need a gigging Bobby as a tester, hit me up!
 #103058  by Rusty the Scoob

hard truckers co wrote: and a yet untitled bass head. I'm sure you can see where we are going with this. .
:shock:

Details, please!

I'd love to test that out! I play basses that emulate several eras of Phil's history, plus John Kahn and I'm very good at documenting shows, providing sound/video clips, etc.
 #103078  by tigerstrat

the bass head would almost have to be called Reddy, after "Reddy Kilowatt"
 #103098  by Rusty the Scoob

tigerstrat wrote:the bass head would almost have to be called Reddy, after "Reddy Kilowatt"
Nailed it. That's the perfect name. Especially if it's 1,000 watts, which it really should be.