Chat about Equipment Info
 #102904  by Counterstriker

So I've been messing around with my new rig, and The big problem I run into is the Nanoverb's overloading and getting distorted, Even at appropriate stage volume it seems to overload and sound like shit. The worst part is once it's overloaded it sounds like crap until you power it of and on. Is there's anyway I can fix this problem? Something I could run this into before the preamp hits it? or something along those lines?
 #102929  by Counterstriker

My signal is Guitar > floor effects > H&K bluesmaster > Nanoverb > QSC poweramp > JBL

Tonight I played a gig, and within the first minute the NV was overloading and it made my tone sound like shit for the whole show.. I would rather not buy a new reverb unit.
 #102933  by myoung6923

How are you cabling the nanoverb out of the amp? Is there an effects loop?

You could try eliminating everything else from the chain. For the sake of troubleshooting, just plug the guitar into the nano verb and then into the amp.
 #102936  by Counterstriker

I'm plugging it from the cabnetulator output, but it happens no matter what output I use. The H&K doesn't have an effects loop. I've heard it's easy to overcome the NV clipping problem if the amp had an effects loop. So I was wondering if an outboard (Not on the guitar) effects loop would do the same thing? One with a mix knob aswell.
 #102938  by myoung6923

I have no idea what a cabentulator output is, but my guess is that the signal is too hot for the nanoverb. Without a dedicated effects loop from the amp I would just put it at the end of the effects chain and before the amp.

If it's still doing it when you plug it in like this the there's a problem with it.
 #102939  by myoung6923

Also, that output probably contains clipping produced by the amp to simulate an overdriven tube amp. You would definitely want your delay and reveb to be inserted before this stage.
 #102940  by Pete B.

What setting is your Input knob at?
Re-read the manual for setting the Input.
 #102945  by Counterstriker

I did some testing, I put the NV before the preamp. It would clip even at soft volume, and I barely got any volume.. Then I tried without the NV and it seemed that I couldn't get it loud enough. Even with the poweramp as loud as it could go (as well as the pre) then I put it in the original way and put the output on the NV about 3 o' clock. and it was great. Sounds perfect. My only problem is when I run the T-wah the peak on the wah overloads it :/ I'm thinking I might just go for the Lexicon unit. But What really baffled me was the fact that Even with 300 watts of power in the qsc 3. The volume was minimal, maybe slightly louder then bedroom volume. But with the output on the NV really brings it up, Which I know it's supposed to, but still I though it'd be much louder.
 #102949  by myoung6923

The QSC has an input sensitivity and if your signal going into it isn't high enough then the output volume from it will be very low. When I first had my twin modded with a preamp out and ran it into a QSC I could barely get an acceptable volume out of it even though it should have been putting out 600W. I tried putting a small mixer between the preamp and the QSC and that did the trick. It boosted the signal going into the QSC above the input sensitivity threshold and the QSC then put out tons of volume.

In effect, you are using your nanoverb as a preamp boost if it is above the 12:00 position.

I still say that you should have the Nanoverb before your amp and quite possibly you need a small mixer to boost the signal going into the QSC. Lord Valve in CO does mods on QSC's to lower the input sensitivity but its way easier and cheaper to just use a small mixer.

From what I read about the Blues Master, there are a whole bunch of different outputs, Maybe try different ones to go into the QSC - some might have a slightly higher output than others - I don't know...

But any way around it - the NV should not be post-preamp.
 #102951  by Counterstriker

wow, that makes a lot of sense, that's for the great info. What I don't understand is when I have the first in the chain that it clips so easily. Rather then after the Pre-amp.. I'm probably going to go for the little mixer, know of any good little rackmounted ones I could get?
 #102952  by Pete B.

...What I don't understand is when I have the first in the chain that it clips so easily....
I'm still betting on the Input level being the cause.
Is that little LED turning Red at all?

From the manual:

Signal Level LED
This dual-color LED monitors the signal strength of the unprocessed inputs, and is
used in much the same way as the level meters on a standard tape recorder. When
the LED turns red, the input signal will be distorted so the [INPUT] level should be
backed off. If the green [SIGNAL] LED is barely coming on, the input signal is not
high enough and the resulting sound from the NanoVerb may be noisy. Ideally, the
[INPUT] signal level should be set so that the [SIGNAL] LED is solid green when
audio is being played into it.
 #103003  by eric

I'm with Pete on this one. This rig gets beyond plenty loud without the need for a mixer. You can see my settings, though the mid is low because im playing a hollowbody right now that is extemely full sounding .I keep the tube output dial on the back at 10. Cab sim out. Line out switched on, not instrument level and make sure you're not in bypass on the back where the tube dial is. Even though there is a sim to add some color, it's still hitting preamp and power tubes for initial tone. Then just get a lexicon (or similair) unit. I've never had any issue with overload/ clipping at the reverb unless you pin the input and thats what those red lights are for.The overal loudness can vary greatly depending on the signal input on the reverb. Even when only one speaker is on, it will scream.

#103004  by Counterstriker

Keep in mind you're using a crown poweramp, I'm using a 300 watt QSC. and my young stated that if the signal is not high enough in a QSC it won't be that loud.

I gigged with it twice, both times I kept being told you couldn't hear me..

Also my H&K stopped working yesterday.. Not the tubes, not the fuse, I'm going to a local tech later in the week to get his take on it.