Chat about Equipment Info
 #77702  by jeffm725

jdsmodulus wrote:After reading this thread, I went through some old boxes of tapes and found a bunch of Creek shows. I also found some Radiators and David Lindley. If anyone wants to trade, send me a pm.

very cool jds!
How about digitizing and putting them up on archive?
 #77703  by strumminsix

jeffm725 wrote:
jdsmodulus wrote:After reading this thread, I went through some old boxes of tapes and found a bunch of Creek shows. I also found some Radiators and David Lindley. If anyone wants to trade, send me a pm.

very cool jds!
How about digitizing and putting them up on archive?
LOL! But in all seriousness, my friend is a HUGE Creek fan if you want to pm my the show dates I'll see if he's up for the task.

BTW, we saw the Radiators at Fitzgerald's a month back and WOW!
 #77712  by scottm1021

Well, it's been really fun trying to remember my old rigs and then find pictures of the vintage gear. Thanks for taking an interest!

In the very early 80s I was using the Yamaha PG-1:
yamahapg1.jpg
(it's the best pic I could find on the web, sorry)

From there, I plugged into the DeltaLab Effectron II:
effectron.jpg
And the power amp was an Accuphase P-300:
Accuphase_P-300II.JPG
The Accuphase drove a pair of 2x12 cabinets that housed a couple of JBLs each. Because I was so poor, I was always inheriting Creek's old PA gear. When we did have the wall of sound, we had made many of our own cabs and these were made to handle the lower midrange.

Max Creek was at the time coming from a mindset of always attempting to get the ultra clean full dynamic range from all our gear, so at first I used no effects pedals whatsoever, and the only "effect" I used was the channel switching on the Yamaha preamp. The preamp also had a built in parametric EQ which I would usually let John Archer set based on what he was hearing out front.

Eventually I added some pedals, the Ibanez auto wah, the Boss Octaver (which I still use btw) and also a Boss Flanger which in those days I had on all the time.

The Accuphase was an amazing amp. It was 300 watts per channel and I would drive it REALLY hard and when I had pushed it beyond what it wanted, it would shut off for 5 seconds as kind of a warning, then turn right back on. I would turn down slightly and everything would be fine.

One night at the Rusty Nail in Sunderland I was playing and the drums stopped in the middle of a song. I looked back and Bob was trying to put my speakers out with his flannel shirt. Apparently my speaker wires were touching (the ones that go to the coil) and they'd gotten so hot that they'd ignited the cone. Accuphase didn't care. It didn't shut off or shut down or go into protect mode; it kept pumping out guitar.

More later...
 #77714  by jeffm725

Thanks Scott!
and thanks so much for coming on here and positing, Very Cool!

great story about Bob G. putting out fires... too funny!

Now that you show that picture of the Accuphase, it is definitely jogging my memory, I remember seeing that on your stack back then.
I do remember seeing a QSC up there toward 85'ish (the agora days)......

In regards to the PG-1, I of course had to have one back then when I saw you using one, and the Parametric EQ was the secret weapon on those things, they were awesome. The reverb on them was pretty sweet too. (I have 2 of them still! you can find them on ebay for pretty cheap from time to time, but NO one has the foot pedal controller anymore.)

I know I speak for all of us where we would love to hear more stories and gear talk in the future!
 #77789  by jeffm725

I wonder how an Accuphase would compare to a MAC in a Jerry rig? they both seem to be very high end prosumer power amps not really manufactured for Live sound reinforcement but are so good that they can serve as that.
 #90200  by tiffcheese

scottm1021 wrote: Max Creek was at the time coming from a mindset of always attempting to get the ultra clean full dynamic range from all our gear, so at first I used no effects pedals whatsoever, and the only "effect" I used was the channel switching on the Yamaha preamp. .
dig it
:wink:
 #91258  by g3bassist

funny i should stumble on this thread... i have always been a huge fan of "x"'s late 80's-early 90's sound... heres what he was using...
the 'head' he used was a gallien kruger 250 ml (100w, stereo, onboard chorus and a limited delay effect) which, depending onthe venue, could be used as a stand alone combo amp (as it had speakers and 100 watts of power). he also incorperated a marshal 4x10 angled cab into the early 90's. occasionally, he did use a roland jc 120 both as a primary (repacing the gk) and as a powered extension cabintet. as far as effects from that era, what i can remember is that sometimes he wouldn't have any stomp boxes, and others he did.. mostly boss pedals... overdrive, delay chours and the ilk... hope this helps :idea:

gabriel
bassist
The Backroad Nationals
http://www.archive.org/details/brn2010- ... b_wdstk_ct
 #91259  by tigerstrat

g3bassist wrote:funny i should stumble on this thread... i have always been a huge fan of "x"'s late 80's-early 90's sound... heres what he was using...
the 'head' he used was a gallien kruger 250 ml (100w, stereo, onboard chorus and a limited delay effect) which, depending onthe venue, could be used as a stand alone combo amp (as it had speakers and 100 watts of power). he also incorperated a marshal 4x10 angled cab into the early 90's. occasionally, he did use a roland jc 120 both as a primary (repacing the gk) and as a powered extension cabintet. as far as effects from that era, what i can remember is that sometimes he wouldn't have any stomp boxes, and others he did.. mostly boss pedals... overdrive, delay chours and the ilk... hope this helps :idea:

gabriel
bassist
The Backroad Nationals
http://www.archive.org/details/brn2010- ... b_wdstk_ct
g3, read 4 posts back
 #91262  by scottm1021

At one point there was this initiative to use less gear or smaller gear. I think this was around the time we wanted to stop carrying our own PA system as well. That's when I found the GK. For a while I just used the GK but I found that the two 8" speakers didn't have the bottom end to compete with the rest of the stage so I added a Marshall 4x10 cab.

That worked for quite a while but after a few years of that I became less impressed with the clean channel of the GK even though I loved the distortion channel. I was always impressed with the sparkly clean tone of the Roland JC120 so I bought one. After I bought the JC I came up with an idea to use an A/B switch to switch between the JC and the GK. But THEN I got the idea that I could take the XLR out of the GK and go into the 2nd channel on the JC, effectively turning the GK into a distortion pedal. It was a "best of both worlds" solution that lasted me for years.

Of course this is more about the 90s guitar rig than the 80s.
 #91358  by dleonard

Hey i searched pretty fast to see if i could dig up the info and it led me here to resurrect this thread.....I'm going to be in Hartford jan 3rd and being that it seems like alot of the dudes here are from the new england area....anyone have a gig i can come watch and have some beers at?
 #102825  by jeffm725

This is a RARE GEM Video from 1981!!! A year before Scott got the Ibanez. He is using his Travis Bean here (and he still has it).

You can see the Accuphase Power Amp he mentions earlier in the thread on Top of his speaker stack.
He gets a real nice Mutron tone out of an Ibanez AF-9 here.

#102906  by zambiland

myoung6923 wrote:back in the early 80's I used to go to Lupo's on wednesdays for Max Creek - good times!
That was some good times! Drink for free until 9pm and then dance it off for the ride home.
 #102908  by ugly rumor

Do any of you guys from New england remember a band called "Timberwolf, from the mid '70s? i used to see them in the city around 1975, 76. First GD cover band I knew of, and very good, as I remember (although my focus was on the girls!). Wondereful times.