#102860  by blurkzzz

yes the jerry tone is very seductive- the glissando at the intro to althea- you know on the bottom e-string? it remends me of two balloons being rubbed together. carnival atmosphere- calliopes and clowns you bet!

my question is does anyone know what the signal path might be from jerry's vocal mic>>>to the meyers. the 89 rich stadium video-- i watch it alot-- jerrys voice at times sounds like- well like a trumpet that sorely needs to be purged of spit-- i really like it and want to emulate that sound for my vocal mic. is this an aural exciter being dimed?
it's just so cool
check out the jerry's guitar tone on la fadeaway-- ( rich stadium 7/4/89 video) not my favorite song at all but the tone he is getting on the wound strings-- he really gets the guitar squeekin--
hey now-- i've got an old jbl d-120- the cone is shot and the coil is probably all sagged- has not made a sound in years-- any advice on re-cone parts? i understand there are simulations as well as an ev kit that doesn't cost an arm or a leg-- trying to decide on the re-cone or a 12-evm. there is even a place that sells do it yourself recones for the jbls-- send you shims for the coil and glue and all ? anyone tried that?
;i went to guitar center in grand rapids mi. and tried every amp in the place-- ridiculous $5,000 botique stuff that sounded like crap. told the sales guy i wanted a clean fender sound. the last amp i tried was a little fender stage 100 sollid state-- used- $150-- didn't buy it decided i wanted it and by then it was gone. wanted a new amp for a gig and went to some local shops and tried everything and NOBODY was trying these amps with a clean sound. this one store i found 3 amps, used, that had fried amps and speakers-- nobody knew because nobody played through them with a clean loud tone-- must be the end of the world
i wanted an amp right then!!! the last amp i tried was a peavey vyper 75 solid state -- i loved it. i'd brought along an old ibanez analog delay stomp box-- kinda fuchia colored, fulla dust and cobwebs -- been in a barn for 20 years-- the 2 -9 volt clips were shot so i jury rigged some clips with the connections just soldered but exposed, was waiting to get some goo to coat the connections-- so i have the old delay that sounds like crap and i traded the pedal for the $300 new amp straight up-- the sales guy said he hated the amp-- weird
so i take this FREE amp home and i'm still finding amazing tones that i can store and call up on the santera 1 foot- pedal.

hey!____ jerry played through a solid state power amp-- don't laugh until you've tried it
am anxious to try the amp with a jbl or evm

thanks for having this forum.
very cool

died in the wool tom
 #102871  by Tennessee Jedi

blurkzzz wrote: i wanted an amp right then!!! the last amp i tried was a peavey vyper 75 solid state -- i loved it. i'd brought along an old ibanez analog delay stomp box-- kinda fuchia colored, fulla dust and cobwebs -- been in a barn for 20 years-- the 2 -9 volt clips were shot so i jury rigged some clips with the connections just soldered but exposed, was waiting to get some goo to coat the connections-- so i have the old delay that sounds like crap and i traded the pedal for the $300 new amp straight up-- the sales guy said he hated the amp-- weird
so i take this FREE amp home and i'm still finding amazing tones that i can store and call up on the santera 1 foot- pedal.

died in the wool tom
Yeah I LOVE this pedal ! ^^^^^^
Yeah man I dig Peaveys - Yeah I said it - for a clean tone that takes pedals well they are pretty good
I really love certain PV BANDIT's as well
Them Blue Stripe ones have sweet reverb ... this head is a hybrid - half SS and half tube. Sounds excellent with the 2 x 12.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tennessee ... 9428489129
Check out the facebook page for the Peavey tone
Just pick up jams and my playing aint great but decent tone I think
Check out the Scarlet transition jam if you get the chance
:smile:
 #102886  by tigerstrat

Tennessee Jedi wrote:
blurkzzz wrote: i wanted an amp right then!!! the last amp i tried was a peavey vyper 75 solid state -- i loved it. i'd brought along an old ibanez analog delay stomp box-- kinda fuchia colored, fulla dust and cobwebs -- been in a barn for 20 years-- the 2 -9 volt clips were shot so i jury rigged some clips with the connections just soldered but exposed, was waiting to get some goo to coat the connections-- so i have the old delay that sounds like crap and i traded the pedal for the $300 new amp straight up-- the sales guy said he hated the amp-- weird

died in the wool tom
Yeah I LOVE this pedal ! ^^^^^^
If that was an original AD-80, I'm not so sure you got the better end of that deal! Those are fetching a nice sum, and they sound incredible! I love mine.
 #102888  by Counterstriker

blurkzzz wrote: my question is does anyone know what the signal path might be from jerry's vocal mic>>>to the meyers. the 89 rich stadium video-- i watch it alot-- jerrys voice at times sounds like- well like a trumpet that sorely needs to be purged of spit-- i really like it and want to emulate that sound for my vocal mic.
I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the PA or signal of the mic, but rather just Jerry's voice, He was a heavy smoker so that more then likely contributed to his voice having that "sound of a trumpet needing to be purged of spit" From reading books and surfing the web, the dead always had top of the line sound equipment, so I doubt it has anything to do with that.
 #102893  by brutusbuck45

Tennessee Jedi wrote:I was there and dont remember anything unusual about Jerrys vocals that day .....
:smile:
I was there too.. I hated Rich. And did not recognize anything unusual except the 10,000 Maniacs were onstage first! :-( The last 'FUN' Rich show was '86- as I remember it. GD, Dylan, TP and the HB. And the truly unusual thing about this day- the Dead went on first. I believe this was to facilitate their appearance on the FarmAid live feed. That was Jerry's last show prior to his diabetic coma. Maybe on THAT day at Rich, Jerry sounded like he was gargling spit.
 #102905  by blurkzzz

way cool and thanks--- i still contend there is some secret dan healy wizardry going on there-- i know part of the msl-3's sound is derived from circuitry that pre-distorts the signal before reaching the drivers,much as an aural exciter does. at first i thought the show was boring-- now i hear more cool phil/jerry catch and pitch and bounce that is truly incredible. jerry was enthusiastic that day. always loved the shows when jerry appeared happy and frisky-- it wasn't really a transcendent show-- pretty pedestrian- but solid--the butchering of pitb into terrapin was a letdown and seemingly a comprimise to the video scene-- who cares. my favorite shows were grand rapids mi. august? 80- and poplar creek in 82 or 83 (chicago) the 3rd of 3 shows. they finished with sugar mag and tore the crap out of it and at times i heard phil playing the eleven and i swear-- i saw the whole joint levitate ( i was mildly dosed ) and fire-balls whip around. never in the universe have i experienced anything like that-- check it out on archive.org-- franklins is at a manic pace and jerry is hangin on for dear life. he was out of synch-- but TRYING.

whew!!!!!

tom
 #102915  by jdsmodulus

I agree that there was some "Healy" mods to the vocals over the years. This may have contributed to his early departure from the band. Alot of folks have said to me it was because of the FOB tapes that leaked from the Carolina shows in 93, this was the straw. Healy DID use effects on the vocals outside of what the industry uses, in the era before autotune and such, I personally imagine ALOT of processing was used. If the technology existed they used it. 10 cents.
 #102918  by strumminsix

jdsmodulus wrote:I agree that there was some "Healy" mods to the vocals over the years. This may have contributed to his early departure from the band. Alot of folks have said to me it was because of the FOB tapes that leaked from the Carolina shows in 93, this was the straw. Healy DID use effects on the vocals outside of what the industry uses, in the era before autotune and such, I personally imagine ALOT of processing was used. If the technology existed they used it. 10 cents.
An old friend of mine got it from one of the horse's mouth - what they heard on stage was not reflecting FOH and the boys thought it was a disservice to the fans. Combine that with Healing fucking with Weir and disrespecting open acts the boys were fed up. There was a show that supposedly put them over the top. Don't know what it was. Rumors were maybe Steve Miller in 92? or Sting in 93..