#60888  by Stevo123

I can't say enough about the Wolf Wire Ultra Strat mod, which can be found at http://www.1728.com/guitar2.htm. This was the first mod I've ever done to any guitar, and it was a hell of a wiring job, but well worth it. Before I was really unhappy with the sounds I was getting out of my strat, but now I'm getting very solid tones. This mod allows for individual pickup selection rather than the 5-way switch. It also adds a switch to go from in-parallel to series wiring. I believe standard strat wiring is in parallel, and the series option has a little more bite to it, with a stronger signal leaving the guitar. It's a much better sound IMO. The options for pickup selection in parallel mode are slightly limited (you can't select any single pickup or neck+bridge combo, which means you have to have the middle pickup when in parallel mode or the signal goes dead due to the way its wired), but the series option makes it well worth it and allows any combination, including neck+bridge. One more switch is also added (my personal favorite) to run two pickups out of phase with each other, which eliminates a lot of the muddy frequencies and sounds very bright and bobby-ish. This mod really turned my strat into a tone machine, as I can get FAR more sounds out of it than I could before.

Not all that hard to do, either, as long as you can follow the wiring diagram. This was my first time soldering or doing any wiring so anybody can do it with some time and patience. The parts were less than 30 bucks from radio shack.
 #61122  by wolf

Hi Stevo123,
That's quite a positive review for that guitar modification and I'd have to agree with you - I thought of it. Yes, that is from my website. 8)
I'll admit there are many chances for hitting "dead spots" with that arrangement, but the sounds it brings to the Strat more than makes up for it. Like you I really like the series sound. I think Jimi Hendrix was the only guitar player that could get a very decent distorted sound from a stock Strat wiring.
 #61125  by Stevo123

Well, wolf, a big thanks for coming up with the wiring diagram and putting it up! As I mess around with it more, I'm finding I'm really digging the Bridge+Neck in series, either in or out of phase (out of phase pretty well nails the "supplication"-type bobby tone). Having all 3 on has a pretty cool sound, too. Very full. I don't so much mind that there are "dead" positions as I'm tending to gravitate more towards the "in series" positions, anyway.

I have to admit I don't fully grasp how exactly all the circuits work (I think I'm pretty fortunate to have gotten all the wiring right the first try having never done any mods or wiring before) but I'm loving the options. Between all the switches on here, the tone knobs, and an EQ pedal I'll be busy for quite a while figuring out my favorite configurations.
 #61138  by tigerstrat

wolf wrote:Hi Stevo123,
That's quite a positive review for that guitar modification and I'd have to agree with you - I thought of it. Yes, that is from my website. 8)
I'll admit there are many chances for hitting "dead spots" with that arrangement, but the sounds it brings to the Strat more than makes up for it. Like you I really like the series sound. I think Jimi Hendrix was the only guitar player that could get a very decent distorted sound from a stock Strat wiring.
wolf, excellent wiring site you've posted- very comprehensive, and some cool-looking schemes I've not seen before. :peas:
 #61182  by wolf

Wow, I have tried several times to post another message here and was unsuccessful many times (including a 3 paragraph posting). ARRRRGGGGHHHHH !!!!!!

Well, thanks for the good words about my website.

I thought I'd mention that I am not a Grateful Dead fan as much as you folks, but one thing I definitely admired about them was their incredible dedication to their sound. I think their "Wall of Sound" in the mid-1970's says a lot for how serious they were. (89 300 watt McIntosh amplifiers and the total wall weighing in at 75 tons - now that's serious)

Jerry Garcia always wanted the best guitar and built to his specifications (Alembic "Wolf" and Irwin "Tiger" are two good examples). I also believe that Jerry Garcia never liked the sound of any guitar that was bought "right off the shelf". Now that's a mentality with which I'm in total agreement.
 #102864  by ndrewoods

wolf wrote:Hi Stevo123,
That's quite a positive review for that guitar tutorial modification and I'd have to agree with you - I thought of it. Yes, that is from my website. 8)
^
I couldn't agree more. Too bad Jimi Hendrix didn't left on some sort of guitar tutorial on how to create a decent one from using a stock Strat wiring. Anyway, very good review. :cool: