#102821  by Rushmoreacd

What benefit would I get by installing a UGB in my guitar without an OBEL. Will is produce a brighter cleaner sound on its own or is it something specifically used compensate for the OBEL?

Logic suggests that a UGB on its own, just installed into my guitar will produce a cleaner, brighter tone, closer to that clean Jerry tone we are all searching for.

Thoughts?
 #102823  by hippieguy1954

Unless you are using one 5' cable from your guitar directly to your amp, the buffer is beneficial! :smile: :smile: :smile:
 #102824  by Scarlet

With a buffer you will benefit from getting the exact same sparkly tone no matter where your guitar vol pot is set. Last year I did exactly the same as what you are asking about & installed a TPC1 without OBEL. I just wasn’t bothered about the OBEL. Almost as soon as the buffer was fitted & I realised I could now control everything from the vol knob with no loss of tone, installing a pre-volume effects loop suddenly made total sense. I finally got the OBEL installed a few months ago & have never looked back.
Having said that, the buffer is a great piece of kit just by itself. I would ideally like a TPC1 installed in every guitar I own, OBEL or not.
 #102828  by Rushmoreacd

That is what I thought. I am currently building a guitar (getting one built) and I will get the UGB installed for this reason, but I don't feel I have much of a need for an OBEL at this point. I'm just searching for a clean, brighter, maybe more "controlled" sound, ala mid 80's, non distortion, Jerry. The UGB on its own seems to be a key component, regardless of the OBEL. Of course, I am also conforming to the other aspects of jerry's set up, pickups, coil splitters, brass nut, amp, speakers, strings, pick, etc. (I've learned that it is quite a big list of things), I'm just not going to get the OBEL right now. Would like to hear others thoughts on this specific UGB/OBEL question. Thanks for sharing.
 #102829  by Tennessee Jedi

Rushmoreacd wrote: Of course, I am also conforming to the other aspects of jerry's set up, pickups, coil splitters, brass nut, amp, speakers, strings, pick, etc. (I've learned that it is quite a big list of things), I'm just not going to get the OBEL right now. Would like to hear others thoughts on this specific UGB/OBEL question. Thanks for sharing.
If you are doing the above - why arent you getting OBEL ????
Now would be the time to have OBEL installed ...while the guitar is being built
I love hitting the OBEL and having the FX be right there ...@ the flick of a switch ....
no pedal dance .... trying to turn on two pedals at once with your foot sometimes gets tricky
and with the loop you are straight to the amp ! Clean and mean !
Good luck
:-)
 #102830  by strumminsix

What does the rest of your rig look like. Won't a UGB without an OBEL simply convert to low impedance?

That's also what the input of a GCX does. So you could have a regular guitar, have your FX in a GCX and put a volume pedal in the last position and have a similar effect by never using your guitars volume knob.
 #102853  by Rushmoreacd

I see the utility of an OBEL, but my goal was to use a UGB simply for a cleaner sound. I'm not using a lot of effects, maybe an EQ pedal. Ideally I'd like to get two JBL's E's or K's and add a Hughes and Kettner bluesmaster to get a Jerry-like sound along with the other on board stuff (Pickups, etc.). A UGB seems essential. However, if I am only trying to achieve the clean sound, the OBEL seems inconsequential. Though I think you are right, I will probably regret not getting one put it. Doah... Bare with me, I'm still learning. Thanks everyone for your advice!
 #102854  by Tennessee Jedi

Ok - no pedal board .....
But for us guys with pedals its essential to have OBEL so you are always Guitar -> amp
:smile: