Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

Chat about Equipment Info
 #92404  by TI4-1009
 Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:32 pm
Clarify "this information"?
 #92408  by waldo041
 Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:10 pm
TI4-1009 wrote:Clarify "this information"?
this info;
Lightning Bolt was in the shop on the last tour. In his final show at Soldier Field in Chicago on July 9, 1995, Garcia started out playing Rosebud, but midway through the show, the guitar developed problems. Garcia strapped on the tour's spare guitar -- Tiger, out of mothballs for the occasion -- and finished his final concert on his old trusty ax.

http://www.dozin.com//jers/guitar/history.htm

peace,
waldo
 #92411  by TI4-1009
 Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:03 pm
Right, right. So then this might be the prime source for the "mis-information"?
 #102534  by cousindave79
 Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:53 pm
bcresci wrote:
jdsmodulus wrote:It belongs in a museum type setting plain and simple.
I think guitars were made to be played. I'd rather see one person get the enjoyment of playing Tiger rather than having it sit behind glass where nobody can touch it. That's just me, though. If he's done well enough that he can afford to buy those guitars, more power to him.

I agree. I don't think Phil or Bobby would play it at home or on stage if you donated it to them. Guitars are useless behind glass. You could argue donate it to John Kadlecik but that guitar would take a beating out on the road. i.e. need a refret, rust, electronic reconditioning, etc. I think it is in good hands where it is treated well and played on occasion. If you have that much money and that many guitars you are going to baby them. A humidified climate controlled room is way better than a humid hot day on stage. I am a colts fan btw. Sorry if I may be biased.